The Pocalypse Defense 2 Ideas and Brainstorming

Discuss Green Pixel games in here! Feedback, constructive criticism, praise, wishlists, it's all good!
Joe
Site Admin

The Pocalypse Defense 2 Ideas and Brainstorming

Postby Joe » 25 Feb 2012, 20:52

So, with BlockHopper in the update and marketing phase, I can focus more on our next game: The Pocalypse Defense 2 :D

The way it's currently designed, it would work best on PC and iPad, since it requires a bigger screen. Being a tower defense game like Plants Vs. Zombies, I think an iPhone screen would feel too squished. That being said, I have a few ideas and thoughts I'd like to put out there to spark some ideas from you, the community! :D

- The game will play similar to Plants Vs. Zombies in that you can place various static units (snipers, infantry, artillery, etc.) on the battlefield to fight off incoming attackers. Your units can be damaged and killed!
- One main difference is that you will be able to place a Hero on the battlefield (Joe, Bernie, Jess, Jake, or Doc) that gains experience and levels up.
- More units are unlocked as you progress and by purchasing them with in-game currency (no mandatory in-app purchases! Only use real money if you want!).
- We're planning 50 units, 5 heroes, 25 enemies and 5 bosses within 50 levels and 5 settings.
- We're also planning an Endless Mode to see how long you can last (Leaderboards maybe?)

Now some questions for you:

- If we were going to release the game on smaller mobile screens (iPhone), how could the game be made simpler to allow a simpler UI?
- Does the game sound too complicated? People seem to like simple apps nowadays, especially one-touch games. Do you think tower defense and one-touch gameplay can mix? If so, how?
- What do you like about tower defense games? What do you think can be improved? Anything on your tower defense wishlist?

I hope this sparks some brainstorming that will help us design the best game possible!
Thank you so much for weighing in and if you have any questions, ask away!
aattss
Zombie Hunter

Re: The Pocalypse Defense 2 Ideas and Brainstorming

Postby aattss » 25 Feb 2012, 21:20

When the units are killed by something like a zombie, do they rise again as one?

Also, will you be able to move units?

How big will the screen be? As in, how many spaces will there be?

Do you plan on having no plot, the exact plot from The Pocalypse, or a new one?

Are you sure you can make 50 unique units, or will many units be upgrades of others?
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 25 Feb 2012, 21:36

Oh man... now you have me.

The PvZ basic idea is good, and should be used to some degree.
I think leave the hero out of this one. Make it the army defending against waves of the enemy. From Zombies all the way up to machines, plants and vampires.
Do NOT use micro transactions. Sell the game if you want, but micro-transactions are evil. Real money should never buy you in-game benefits.
50 units vs 25 enemies? I would rather see 5 units and 70 enemy types. More enemies make it more interesting.
A single setting would be fine, but more is cool too.
Endless mode definitely.

Never underestimate the difficulty of throwing 50 zombies against the player rather than just 5 plants. More enemies is more difficult and can be more fun.
Gore. Just as in the comic things should burst and die horrifically. Much more awesome. Also add special deaths to each enemy ,for when you do more than twice the normal damage, the only kill is overkill, and we want overkill rewarded.

For small screens, you can add scrolling by flicking the finger over the screen, while long presses activate like a left mouse click would.
Add a minimap as well. Top right if right is towards the enemy, it just has to show a small square with green for your units and red for the enemy. This allows you to know where you need to be looking.
Simple is boring, complicated is awesome, look at Dwarf Fortress.
The game can easily be one touch. Just press location, have radial menu of placement options. Press unit to have the radial menu show upgrade choices and the sell button. Tap anywhere to stop. For PC version add hotkeys, but leave the controls the same but using Left Mouse Button.
Using above point, minimal hud consists only of minimap, life, and cash.

When going for the PvZ style, allow either units to fire at anything, but only melee with units on their line. or allow blockades to make enemies path around.

If using heroes, allow them to move to other squares. Also add scrufflebeak as a hero.

Dont make the player have to manually shoot at anything, make it automated. The player just places the units.
Going with a radial menu means only 6-8 units per level, but you could easily do them into groups. OR select the units before each mission/level.
Each level should have multiple waves.

Going with limited units in each mission means that after so many waves in endless you need a day time, so you can select new units to place. Or make it strategic and have them select the units they will use to begin with and not change.

Assuming the limited of 6-8 units, allow a max of one hero in each mission. The hero should be free to place however.

These are more bullet points. But they should help.

EDIT: Also you should really think about implementing an Android version of the game too. Some of us have a deep hatred of Mac and their bullshit.
Eldaran
Vampire Slayer

Postby Eldaran » 26 Feb 2012, 13:26

Plants vs Zombies? mmh... as long as it won't be one of those "standard" TD where you just put the towers next to the path. But i need to agree silverware. There shouldnt be too many units to choose from. Soldier, sniper, bazooka, (citizen?, cheap) Heroes.... maybe that you can upgrade the units (so less units etc. pistol soldier, bolt action rifle, auto,..) (would also be interesting for Joe & co.)
And DONT MAKE IT TOO EASY, i hate it when you only have to push 3 buttons and than you can watch TV while the computer does everything. So i actually liked the idea, that you can aim and kill with the mouse. (maybe choose one hero you can play and the others you can put on the field?) So that the leveling becomes a bit more personal than if you just level or just give the equipment to your troops.

And JOE, i think there are some ideas in the other Post/Thread so, i m still sticking with those...

PS: I love the bosses. Endless mode is a "must be"
The only thing Nobody can give back to you is time. Dont waste it on everyone.
AdricTheGreat
Survivor

Postby AdricTheGreat » 26 Feb 2012, 16:01

The first Pocalypse Defense game while simple was quite enjoyable to play... Although the high scores seemed bugged, some people had an unusually high score. Like unrealistically. Probably found an exploit of some sort.

As for the new one, it sounds great. I'll definitely give it a try. Endless mode is always fun. You have to make sure endless mode doesn't becoming boring though. If the enemies just increase in numbers, with the correct defense you may be able to kill infinite numbers of enemies. You should make it so that won't work. Instead of just making more enemies, consider making them more powerful. For example the zombies on wave 20 are 100% stronger than the zombies on wave 1. Or something like that, numbers can be scaled to fit.

Having multiple strategies that work is also important, balance will be difficult as you don't want "one good build" that always works the best. With 50 different units that could be difficult. If you could collect statistics that would be great. "X unit used 70% of the time, Y unit used 3% of the time" it would give you an idea of which units were over powered and which were under.

On the topic of statistics, you should keep those for each player. "Favourite unit x, wins/losses, total kills" maybe put some achievements. People love achievements. Makes them feel good.

Maybe add "equipment" of some sort to the hero you use. Things that give global bonuses to different units. For example "Powerfist's Bandana" may increase the moral (damage? attack speed?) of all "civilian units." This will allow people to further customize to their playing style. If they want to use melee units they could specialize in one area or another. Customizability is key, because it allows people to try new things, and increases replayability.

Speaking of replayability, you have to consider the idea of persistent leveling. If I get joe to lvl 7, can I start over with Joe at level 7 or do I have to start from scratch? Both sides have advantages and disadvantages. If you have a max level that is quite high (and may require multiple playthroughs) then persistent is the way to go. However, for "endless mode" the one with leaderboards, you want everyone to be on a level playing field, so all heroes and stuff should start at level one for endless mode. This way you can have the best of both worlds.

Maybe have different ranking modes, and let people select their stages once they've beaten it. Take a look at the rankings in Dungeon Defenders for examples of how it could work.

Allow for saving. So that people can stop on wave x and shut down and come back to the same place.

As for microtransactions? Go for it, but only aesthetic things. People shouldn't get gameplay advantages for spending real money. If they want to buy a custom hat or fancy banner for their profile, then power to them, but don't make the game easier by selling BFGs or something, not only does that dilute the integrity of the game, but it makes the leaderboards more of a pay to win.

That's all I've got for now.
wettwilly10
Survivor

Postby wettwilly10 » 26 Feb 2012, 16:23

Wishlist... well lately I've been addicted to this one Tower Defense game called DefendersQuest. (Strangely enough, I guess it's a sort of zombie game as well.) If you haven't played it, I would give it a shot. The full version isn't free, but the Demo that's on Kongregate is still a good hour worth of play I think. But what makes it really exciting are its RPG elements. The fact that each unit has stats and can be leveled up and you can spend skill points on different stats and attacks, so each "tower" gets stronger in each level. It's kinda hard to explain exactly how it works, but it' makes the game quite a bit more fun. Perhaps this is what you have in mind for those 5 "heroes" that you're talking about implementing? I think that's a great idea, given that we get some choice on what abilities our character has, and how to upgrade those abilities. I think you did a good job of this in the first game, so I'm looking forward to this, honestly.

It's really hard to say how a game might be simplified for mobile versions without actually having a really good idea of how the game itself works... I mean, the description is great and all, but seeing as I've never really played "Plants vs. Zombies" I don't really have much of an idea of how the UI works, or how one might simplify it.

And as far as one touch gaming goes, well, I'm sure it could be done. Perhaps the cursor scrolls through the grid, and each time you press, the cursor would take a specified action in a queue of actions, like placing a certain tower, directly attacking an enemy, upgrading a defense... but it seems like it would be kind of boring unless you built a game around that specific idea. Unless I'm misinterpreting what a one-touch game is.
aattss
Zombie Hunter

Postby aattss » 26 Feb 2012, 22:36

I think you should combine persistant and non-peristant leveling. In other words, over the course of the level/whatever, they level up, and leveling up gives them special abilities or amazing power upgrades or whatnot, but on the next lever, heroes reset with everything else, except for gaining a little experience in a different leveling bar. That leveling bar will give you an option to choose perks for this hero, or give it more abilities, and none of those will ever disappear. However, the perks will be small, and as for the abilities...

If you'll have abilities, I'd recommend every character would have a maximum amount of abilities. Also, the better the ability, the more resources (credits or cooldown or negative side affects) it will cost. No ability should be plainly better than other abilities in terms of cost effectiveness, but should provide a different tactical advantage.
Eldaran
Vampire Slayer

Postby Eldaran » 27 Feb 2012, 12:41

Maybe add "equipment" of some sort to the hero you use. Things that give global bonuses to different units. For example "Powerfist's Bandana" may increase the moral (damage? attack speed?) of all "civilian units." This will allow people to further customize to their playing style. If they want to use melee units they could specialize in one area or another. Customizability is key, because it allows people to try new things, and increases replayability.

Is a good idea, i liked the style in the first game.

Here an idea that it's probably too difficult to realize (but nice to fantasies about it) :mrgreen:

Well, i had everytime in my mind that it would be interesting if you also could conquer areas (from the zombies, plants, robots, vampires) similar to "risk" (world famous board game) [maybe make the map more like in "sea of fire"] That one time you have to defend, but also need to attack. which would bring also a more tactical approach.
In the endless mode you could then choose either to defend or attack.
The only thing Nobody can give back to you is time. Dont waste it on everyone.
ZidaneRobbie
Zombie Hunter

Postby ZidaneRobbie » 27 Feb 2012, 15:17

needing ideas. How bout mine

Generally for iOS, I generally use a smaller version. So it's like in the Pc version, 50 units are available and the iPhone may like having 25 or so.

Powers may also benefit your efforts. Such as Air Strikes, Mines, such and such. They may unlocked along the way or bought.

Walls can really spark the player's creativity. Having the enemies travelling in areas where walls can be built. You can make mazes and make it extremely difficult.
I'm an inspired writer and wannabe artist. I excel in those trades yet I fall to a good RP with my OCs.
I like eating...and Joe.
Been a fan since...uhhh...2006? I canni mind '-'
aattss
Zombie Hunter

Postby aattss » 28 Feb 2012, 06:34

ZidaneRobbie wrote:needing ideas. How bout mine

Generally for iOS, I generally use a smaller version. So it's like in the Pc version, 50 units are available and the iPhone may like having 25 or so.

Powers may also benefit your efforts. Such as Air Strikes, Mines, such and such. They may unlocked along the way or bought.

Walls can really spark the player's creativity. Having the enemies travelling in areas where walls can be built. You can make mazes and make it extremely difficult.

Mazes don't make sense in PvZ because they aren't possible in PvZ. Also, if you do add walls, please make it so that, instead of making it so you can't block the path, that walls are descructible.

Return to “Game Discussion”