Religious characters cast in a poor light.

Discuss The Pocalypse here! Let Joe know if you have any suggestions and what you like and don't like!
aattss
Zombie Hunter

Re: Religious characters cast in a poor light.

Postby aattss » 23 Apr 2012, 09:16

With the way TVTropes work, you find a link, click on the hyperlinks on that page, click on the hyperlinks on the new pages, etc. etc... and that's how one becomes knowledgable on every single one of them.
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 23 Apr 2012, 13:40

The 10 Commandments? You do know there's different versions of that... right?
In some Bibles one of the 10 Commandments say you shall kill anyone working on Sunday... try feeling good enforcing that rule.
I'm the Forum Demon, amongst the most active members on the Forum.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Nosebleeds are f***ing annoying!
Eldaran
Vampire Slayer

Postby Eldaran » 23 Apr 2012, 14:30

Well, i was thinking of the 10 commandsment christians use in their lives today...
But i think you got my meaning.
The only thing Nobody can give back to you is time. Dont waste it on everyone.
Opcalypse
Citizen

Postby Opcalypse » 24 Apr 2012, 00:57

Your right Happy Demon, you're the exception. That said, even you are at least controlled and not blatantly flaming folks. I appreciate that, as well as your contributions to this thread.

As for the 10 commandments, the OT has 613 commandments. The ones referred to as the 10 commandments are the ones Moses brought down from the mountain where God had written them on 2 stone tablets. You are correct in saying that there are two versions of these, but they both contain identical text. Moses smashed the first set by throwing them off the mountain when he discovered his people in idol worship to a golden calf.

None of the 10 commandments tell you to kill those who fail to keep the Sabbath holy. Part of the 613 commandments handled punishment for Sabbath breakers and remember these were laws set to rule a nation. I'm sure you don't agree with seat belt laws or drug laws but you still live in America. Even modern day Israel doesn't follow the 613 commandments. If they did, they'd have to purge gaza and the west bank of all Palestinians and rebuild the Temple (unfortunately a Moslem Mosque called the Dome of the Rock stands in its place).

Before posting comments like that it would help if you actually read the text and cited the source. Or any source for that matter.

I love Penn and Teller, but Penn is an active atheist and makes no apologies for twisting facts to show religions in their worst light. I have nothing against it as I see it for what it is but I would be careful quoting him. You'll have to get the quote perfect to remain factual due to the amount of spin he puts on things. Even then you've got just a slanted opinion and nothing more.

Most religious folks would suggest you read their texts at this time. I'm not going to do that, it's your choice what media you choose to spend your time on. Me? I'm a big fan of Pocalypse. If one was considering reading a religious text, please keep in mind that the Bible would take 70 hours to read cover to cover if you read as fast as an average person speaks. Surprisingly, it's not that intimidating of a book. La Morte D' Arthur is the french text that details the life and times of King Arthur... and I'm fairly certain it's a longer read but I still cranked it out in a few weeks for an english course.

If one were to read the Bible, I'd suggest catching a quick summary by reading the Book of Genesis first, then reading the Gospel of John. Of course this will only give you some pieces of the whole text, but you will have the core in place and be much more conversant on the topics for the future. Shouldn't take more than a few hours tops. Remember to suspend disbelief (like we all do with any fantasy or sci-fi text) until your reading is done, then you're free to believe what you want.

No, I don't expect anyone to be converted just from doing a little reading. Just figured if this thread perked someone's interest I should offer some helpful guidance.
Andalusi
Survivor

Postby Andalusi » 24 Apr 2012, 17:47

The "Temple" is claimed to be under the 'Al-Aqsa' mosque, not the Dome of Rock or 'Qubat al-Sakhra.' If you are going to use such terms as 'unfortunately' when describing Muslim holy sites, please get the names right.
ZidaneRobbie
Zombie Hunter

Postby ZidaneRobbie » 24 Apr 2012, 20:45

Very good chapter but it does attack my atheism.
Yes, i am a atheist so don't mick it.

I was a Christian before breaching 15 when I realised that the religion was blinding my way of life so I turned to Atheist, where I had a direct furiousity against Christianity. However when I reached late 16 I became more relaxed and started to respect people's beliefs as my gentleman senses kicked in. It just to show that Atheism dosen't mean you say "I don't believe in god" but it can mean you want to decide it's time and that you feel it is getting in the way. That is what I feel.

Sure enough some Christians are aggressive against Atheists and try and convert them again but I know it's my decision, not the Lord's.
I'm an inspired writer and wannabe artist. I excel in those trades yet I fall to a good RP with my OCs.
I like eating...and Joe.
Been a fan since...uhhh...2006? I canni mind '-'
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 24 Apr 2012, 23:39

I turned Atheist because I hated the part where all Christians went to paradise as long as they were Christians, since Adolf Hitler was a Christian.
I don't care if he had an abusive father, that he was using drugs, and that he wasn't treated all that well, he still caused WW2 and Nazism.

A religion can be good, but it can also be bad, so no exceptions shall be had.
Actually Religion is never a problem, abstract things can't do any real damage, it always requires something concrete in order to do that.

If the existence of a God was proven, then I might have joined a Religion, but since everything can be explained with Science, then I'll stick with Science.
Not to mention the fact that Science has uncovered quite a lot of facts, Religion just got a few lucky hits here and there. None got all their answers right.
Okay neither did Science, but they admit that fact is found through trial and error, and truth is good, since truth you can put your belief into.
Okay, you always got the lies and the errors, but that will always be there.

There's no victory to be had here, since Science and Religion are both abstract, it's just that Science is more open to change.
Ow, my head hurts, no-win situations tends to do that.
I'm the Forum Demon, amongst the most active members on the Forum.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Nosebleeds are f***ing annoying!
Opcalypse
Citizen

Postby Opcalypse » 25 Apr 2012, 01:07

Good overall views. Atheism as "I've not decided yet" and Atheism as "I believe what can be proven" aren't that different from Christianity's "Here's what I believe so far" and "because this happened I believe such and such". Like you gentlemen said, none of these are perfect. That's what religion always is... an imperfect understanding of questions man can't possibly have answers for.

Joe, great comic with episode 2. Even if they all die at this point you've got some great development in. Maybe one will survive to carry the story forward.

As for Hitler going to heaven, Christians believe that God judges us all at the end. It's not what we do that counts, it's what he thinks about us that matters. Nothing about Hitler's life makes me think that man will enter into paradise. Christianity has got a couple of millenia to judge mistakes made in it's name and there have been many. Since religion occupies the relationship between a man and God, I feel the most important study is how that single relationship is played out... other concerns, though interesting, are tertiary.

As for the correction on the temple location, I'm afraid even a quick look at Wikipedia will confirm that my statement is correct. The location of the temple is the same site the Dome of the Rock mosque sits. Al-aqsa was built nearby on the same property that is referred to as the Temple Mount but that is a description of a neighborhood, not the specific site of the temple. I'm sure that if this matter seriously concerns you, you can do your own research and find the same conclusion. As for use of the word 'unfortunately', Islam has Mecca... but it's not enough for them to have their central holy site, they must keep the Jews from rebuilding their own. That is unfortunate.

I have to say, all in all... this thread has cast people of all sorts of belief in a fantastic light. However, you all still remain a bunch of 'characters'. =) Glad to be one of the crazies with you.
Andalusi
Survivor

Postby Andalusi » 26 Apr 2012, 19:08

As for the correction on the temple location, I'm afraid even a quick look at Wikipedia will confirm that my statement is correct. The location of the temple is the same site the Dome of the Rock mosque sits. Al-aqsa was built nearby on the same property that is referred to as the Temple Mount but that is a description of a neighborhood, not the specific site of the temple. I'm sure that if this matter seriously concerns you, you can do your own research and find the same conclusion. As for use of the word 'unfortunately', Islam has Mecca... but it's not enough for them to have their central holy site, they must keep the Jews from rebuilding their own. That is unfortunate.

I dont care about Wikipedia, I care about factual knowledge - and I have done enough research about it to be well informed. Moreover, as a Muslim AND an Arabic speaker, I know for a fact that the Israeli authorities are not interested in the Dome of Rock but in the Alqsa mosque where many 'excavations' - despite the fact that the grounds are in control of the Jordanian Islamic Ifta' which opposes these activites. So yes, you are still wrong whatever your cursory stroll into google or wikipedia would tell you.

As for the ridiculous statement "Islam has Mecca" that is not how global spiritualities operate. Mecca is the heart, but in Medina is where the Prophet buried and in Jerusalem where he ascended during the Nightly Sojourn. Its like saying that Christianity might as well abandon the Five Petrarchate cities since they're only suppose to have one. The Temple had been well destroyed for over 6 centuries by the time the first Muslim soldiers arrived into Byzantine Palestine. Read a bit, it would be of great benefit to you.
Andalusi
Survivor

Postby Andalusi » 26 Apr 2012, 19:42

Opcalypse wrote:I have to say, all in all... this thread has cast people of all sorts of belief in a fantastic light. However, you all still remain a bunch of 'characters'. =) Glad to be one of the crazies with you.

=) likewise

Return to “Comic Discussion”