In case of mythological confusion, make your own.

Discuss The Pocalypse here! Let Joe know if you have any suggestions and what you like and don't like!
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

In case of mythological confusion, make your own.

Postby Happy Demon » 28 Oct 2011, 22:01

Start if Topic #1

Since the Pocalypse isn't really certain what mythologies it follows (if it follows any at all), I thought we may make our own, and Joe could either take it or leave it.

Let's focus at one at a time, and maybe modify them every now and then if something doesn't fit.

I'll start one.

Vampires.
We've all seen the Vampires in these comics (if not, go read the comic), they got pointy ears, fangs, sunlight is lethal to them, the ability to drain someone of life force through consuming their blood, and psychic powers.
Let's tackle the first of these things, the weakness to sunlight. I got my own hypothesis on this.

Things always react to radiation, the sun shoots out radiation and energy at everything, the earth included, and creatures absorb it. But what happens if they consume all of the energy in the sunlight?
The first thing is a lot of power, but the second is the cells igniting from this immense energy, resulting in the creature burning up, and leaving a pile of ash, but this reaction is so fast it doesn't kill everyone with the heat.
When a vampire gets 'killed' this happens as well, but that's the final push the body does of holding itself alive. Forcing all energy in one burst, but this is too much, and makes them burn to ash in an instant.
Removing tissue from the body before they burn up makes the tissue not get burned up in their 'death'.

((Hehe, I tackled 2 things at once.))

Now for the second thing, the metamorphosis, life draining, pointy ears, and origin.

I've hypothesized that the vampires are part of an old race called elves, that copied the appearance of humans, and either lived with, or fed on them, but they could also do both.
The elves specialized in certain things, the ones that became vampires specialized in feeding of their blood, and became more adapted to that, while still keeping their disguise.
But due to the human and elf DNA being somewhat similar, the elves could make humans into elves, the transformation took time, but not long, and they looked very normal (except for the elf traits).
The vampires constantly hunger for blood, since it's the only thing that supplied enough energy to power their telepathy and telekinesis.
They also drain from everything else, making them unwillingly draw power from the sun, burning them when they enter sunlight.

((Actually I think I tackled all the remaining things there, please tell me how I did.))
((I don't think I can make the best explanations to all the creatures Joe throws out, so you may be able to make a Mythology that's better than what i make. That's actually what the purpose of this thread is.))
Last edited by Happy Demon on 29 Oct 2011, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the Forum Demon, amongst the most active members on the Forum.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Nosebleeds are f***ing annoying!
Irish Psycho
Zombie Hunter
Location: in that place where stuff happensand and that thing is

Re: In case of mythological confusion, make your own.

Postby Irish Psycho » 29 Oct 2011, 00:05

those are interesting idea's but i kinda like thinking about this and i actually delveloped a different one. this is fiction so i'm not argueing with you. i just like doing this.

with the vampire burning up in the sun, vapires are very well known for having very pale skin. and the color in our skin is actually meant to help block the radiation in the sun. this is why people form africa and the America's (these are people before Europeans came over) have a darker skin color, these groups are from very sunny area's. vampire's very pale skin may actually indicate that vampire's have no protection from radiation form the sun (this would actually mean that windows would save vampire's, only natural light passes through glass).

about the vampire's new abilities, i think it may be some kind of virus/germ thing. a virus is actually technically not alive, it is a hard shell filled with DNA that will insert this DNA in to new cell's and have the infected cell reproduce the DNA and make more virus. in most cases, this will mess with our body negativly. but it may be possible that it indstead alter's our DNA to improve it, so Vampire's our more of a really freaking lucky diseas that helps us rather than hurts.
I'm not insane, i'm only semi-sane.
Irish Psycho
Zombie Hunter

Postby Irish Psycho » 29 Oct 2011, 00:19

This is a group of monsters that I thought would be pretty cool, this is what the Last Templars would hunt. The Demon.

A demon is not actually anything physical. It is a psychic energy from outside the universe. Since they are simply energy, they need to find a latch to attach to and the best choice is the human mind. Animal minds are smaller and simply can't hold all the energy that a demon is. To take over a mind, the victim must be under heavy (HEAVY) stresses, these are usually insane individuals. Once a demon takes over a mind, it will usually erase the mind of the individual they took over. Some are more sadistic and will simply suppress the person’s mind and then torture it.
If gains control of a mind, it also gains much better of the body it now controls. This allows for many changes they can do to the body, given enough time. In older times, when the most advanced weapon was a sharp metal stick, they would usually become a monster. They could kill hundreds this way and there wasn’t much we could do. A good choice was what we call a dragon (this would have taken a very long time to do though), this is where many classic “dragon kidnaps princess” story’s came from. With their goal to cause chaos, capturing a princess would do two things. 1. It would put a king or duke under great stress and distract him, thus lower his ability to run his land, and 2. It would attract many pure knights that the dragon would then be able to kill, preventing them from doing any more good. It would also explain the wide variety of dragons that have existed.
In more modern days, with our better technology and weapons, any creature, especially larger creatures, could much more easily be killed (imagine a dragon verses a tank (and no, they don’t have bullet proof skin, that’s practically impossible)). Also as time passed the Last Templar would have grown in strength, thus posing a greater threat to demons. This leads many demons instead to keep a human appearance, though they still will modify themselves slightly, they can increase muscle density, raise adrenaline levels and such without people noticing. With people thinking a demon is one of them, it is possible to put ideas in their head. Hitler may have been a demon, Stalin may have been a demon, Pol Pot may have been a demon. Most demons who have found a host will try and start a cult of some kind, but some may still just go killer’s way.
While it is not sure exactly what they do not like about us, most religious groups believe it is because of their god, which (in most cases) created the world and us.
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 29 Oct 2011, 00:35

Related to Topic #1.

Another handy thing about this thread is the potential of nit-picking.

So the virus existed before the zombie virus, and somehow, someone got this disease. Now for !!Science!!, the zombie virus works because it kills the host and reanimates the corpse (or retrofits it to the needs), so the immune system doesn't work. The vampire one enhances the host, making everything screwed up. The vampire bonds with the host, it inhabits it and stays there, helping. The zombie one is destructive, making everything screwed up.
So a black vampire is able to walk in daylight? That would be weird. Don't forget that it makes people parasitic, that's not a good thing. It's like saying becoming a werewolf (the uncontrollable one) a good thing.
I know you said more helps than hurts, but that still isn't really true. You gain a lot of weaknesses.
Wait, you didn't mention WHY they turned into ash upon death and sunlight.

Now In case you missed, I'm kinda making suggestions on how for you to improve your hypothesis (while pointing out how mine sounds better to me).

Now go ahead, criticize mine, it's only fair.

Okay, now for easyness, let's put the topic number (vampire is 1, demon is 2) on the top of the post (go edit). Also, split up the wall, try to keep it at 6 lines max (I prefer 5) between spaces.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 29 Oct 2011, 00:54

Related to Topic #2.

Well, the Demon thing is acceptable, though it means any purely physical Demon would be called something else (but most probably would be called Demons by the characters that doesn't know of the one you made).

But doesn't that mean Demons could take on the form of a Phantasmagorian (from Magic the Gathering) and discourage everyone trying to kill it, by using it's appearance?
Actually that would be awesome, and somewhat frightening.

Irish Psycho
Zombie Hunter

Postby Irish Psycho » 29 Oct 2011, 01:21

while the creature is scary, it clearly would attract military attention, and it could never survive that. and it would take a REDICULOUS amount of time to become that form.
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 29 Oct 2011, 03:51

Topic #2

Well, it's better in combat than a dragon (more arms, I don't even know where the head is, and those blade arms), and the dragons was back in the medieval ages, according to you.

Besides, now they would just go C'thulu, maybe even with the indestructibility.

aattss
Zombie Hunter

Postby aattss » 29 Oct 2011, 09:39

Radiation doesn't really work, since if they were killed by radiation, Chernobyl would have killed them.
Irish Psycho
Zombie Hunter

Postby Irish Psycho » 29 Oct 2011, 12:18

i assume your talking about vampire's

this is a different form of radiation (UV rays), this is the stuff that gives us sunburn.

happy there is also some flaws in your description, you said that since the vampires DNA is similar to a humans, they can turn humans into vampires. but how do they do that with only a bite. also you say that the reason vampires burn in their sun is that their cells ignite with energy, to actually use sunlight as energy, you need to be capable of photosynthesis, and to be able to be photosynthetic, you need a plant like cell part that would make you look green, so vampires would actually be green, not pale. also you cannot specilize in blood drinking, blood is actually poisonous (drinking a pint of blood will kill you), so vampires have adapted to drinking blood, and i dought they manipulated evolution to do it.

they can't just do that, they aren't invulnerable, one good tank round, one accurate missle, one are strike, or a good amount of bullets would still put it down. and the dragon was okay to mutate into because it had a basic animal design. the creature your suggesting is incredibly different from a humanoid form (i'm not even sure if it could be considered a vertabre anymore), it would require centuries of mutation, and it would have probably been noticed in that time, since they still need to eat.
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 29 Oct 2011, 14:29

Topic #1
I consider a different kind of energy being emitted. One nobody can absorb, one that only Elves can absorb, that magic kind. With a rare case of humans being able to do so.
Kinda like an unseen force, we don't know it's there, it's no way of knowing, we aren't affected by it.
Remember that my hypothesis of werewolves included absorbing lunar radiation.
I say radiation because the light itself isn't really easy to have not affect things. Think of this as Mana, capable of being formed into some sort of magic, among those being telepathy.

Now for radiation thingy (this isn't it's own Topic).
There are many types of radiation we already know of (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, UV, etc.), and having a not noticed one isn't really that hard. Since I think we already have.
I think of there existing a type of radiation sent out by celestial objects, and some types of radiation only works in direct contact, while others can pass through solid objects.
These also contain a LOT of energy, if absorbed. 'unknown magical' Radiation is fun, but only the Magical kind.
In case you haven' noticed, I'm talking random techno babble to explain why the vampire does what it does, while screwing around.

But now i have to explain the blood sucking again.
The Vampires have some sort of process is their body that makes the blood into the kind energy they need. The bite also transfers some form of infection that makes the blood easier to change.
This infection makes the human a vampire over a certain amount of time.

Topic #2
I only liked the Phantasmagorian because of the appearance. I have no idea where any of the organs are on it, so there may be somewhere they are, but they may be tucked away into the torso (including the brain).
I know the modern Demons are in fact hiding, and using deception. But they did screw around in the medieval ages as dragons, becoming a Phantasmagorian and screwing around isn't all that different (if it could be made).
Not to mention how limited the dragon design is, since it has to actually fly, which is hard with a body consisting of solid bones, and a lot of muscles, which weights it down.

Return to “Comic Discussion”