The Monolith

Discuss Green Pixel games in here! Feedback, constructive criticism, praise, wishlists, it's all good!
Silverware
Site Admin

The Monolith

Postby Silverware » 29 May 2014, 10:34

I like the game, it is a slightly cooler version of CookieClicker, which I admit I was hooked on for three weeks or so.
However Joe, it needs somefixes in the CSS for smaller screen sizes than 1920x1080.
I run on 1366x768 myself, and many people on laptops will as well.

It works well on the Android too, however on that we have a giant black area towards the bottom of the screen.
I know it is not designed for Android, but some work to make it look good on them would be nice.

Other than that, the only gripes I have are with the limited growth of the player's click power. And the smallish number of upgrades, adding a large variety of tiny upgrades each level would be nice.

Good work on this one Joe.
Joe
Site Admin

Re: The Monolith

Postby Joe » 29 May 2014, 23:39

Thanks for the feedback! :D

Yes, that seems to be the #1 issue with most players. I'll be playing around with minimum resolution :D
Toasty
Zombie Hunter

Postby Toasty » 30 May 2014, 16:01

Hey joe, i just had to come back to the forums to say A+ work on this game, but there is a lot of room for expansion too. I especially like the idea of a Cookie Clicker RPG, Ive seen some really great Idle Rpg games on the web over the years and they're always pretty great cause the grinding is done for you. i think it would be cool if maybe your guys died periodically from the beast or the monolith takes damage, or maybe you can fight the leeches and other smaller creatures. I don't know if i just haven't gotten far enough or if the beast just caps out in his slightly dirt covered state but that seems kinda unfinished. I haven't had any bugs, but i also haven't found any of these shards that you get achievements for so i don't know whats up with that.

Overall gotta say i'm addicted, i really am hoping for a thepocalypse expansion!
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 30 May 2014, 18:15

You get shards for destroying the monolith with lots of EP, but not sure how they work yet.
Joe
Site Admin

Postby Joe » 30 May 2014, 23:32

Yes! Lots to do and add!

More ages, more units, more beast forms, and, as you suggested Toasty, a Hero character that will act more like an RPG character (I hope!) :D Monolith Shards are tough to get right now but as upgrades get better, they'll be more attainable.

This game was primarily a test of whether or not I could teach myself programming :D I want to make a The Pocalypse game using what I've learned from The Monolith! Thinking of a survival "clicker" where you're trying to live through The Pocalypse for as long as possible. But, we'll see! You guys always have great ideas so if there's anything you'd like to see in a "The Pocalypse Clicker", I'd love to know!
Seeker
Survivor

Postby Seeker » 31 May 2014, 10:29

Something's up with the DPS:EPS conversion rate. Maybe it's just in the Modern age, because I'm pretty sure it was working right before that! Here are two screenshots I took back-to-back:
Spoiler! :

All-time damage went up just under 20m, but EP only went up 2.6m. And that's with my 333k/sec ticking in addition to the DPS.
edit: Interestingly, Critical Hits and Beast Leeches appear to be converting at the proper 4:1 rate. Do you have different code for that?

Monolith shards are basically impossible to get at a reasonable rate, I'm hoping I get two for this long slog to 400k to find out if that is in fact the math, one per 200k EPS. I'm surprised that the DPS that converts into EPS doesn't give them, even at a reduced rate.

Sometimes when I spam click Firefox will somehow decide to put itself into the background and I find myself clicking on the window behind it, but I can't reproduce that one at will.

Breakthroughs and Critical Hits seem to be on the same timer. Warcries might be too, but for the last three resets the Warcry upgrade hasn't appeared for me (Note Swordsmen and Archers) so I can't tell you for sure.

I expected Beast Leeches to work like Wrinklers, but they didn't. Not sure if that's a plus or a minus - it's great when you're actively clicking, but I tend not to do that often and it's absolutely atrocious overnight.

You already know about the +X and +X% upgrade ordering bug, I'm sure.

I'd expect there to be a mechanic to care about achievements - like kittens in CC - given how damn hard the later ones are to get.

The sword gets absolutely useless as quickly as one era in.

...and I guess that's all I've got for bug reports and feedback. I tried!
Joe
Site Admin

Postby Joe » 31 May 2014, 10:51

Thank you for the feedback! :D

Return to “Game Discussion”