possible game idea

Discuss Green Pixel games in here! Feedback, constructive criticism, praise, wishlists, it's all good!
ericshadow
Survivor

possible game idea

Postby ericshadow » 25 Nov 2012, 19:55

right i believe that pocalypse definetly needs a sandbox survival game so heres what i believe should be included

random map generation so each game is unquie

random settlement generation ranging from small to large with a random faction selection e.g human vampire mutant plant machine

being able to build your own colony after clearing out and fortifying a set section of the map eg one square grid on the map?

a tech tree element to improve the types of tools and weapons you can craft at your base

being able to play as one of the 5 factions (human vampire plant etc.) each with thier own strengths weakness and playstyles and being able to build the corrosponding settlement type

day/night time cycle similar to minecrafts

multie level terrain

hunger thirst health and stamina bars

and easy to understand and use HUD

Npc characters running around trying to survive like you

thats all ive got right now please reply and let me know what you think :idea:
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Re: possible game idea

Postby Happy Demon » 25 Nov 2012, 23:39

For some reason Dwarf Fortress comes to mind.

Anyway, I'm not a game developer but that sounds like something which will be very difficult for several reasons.

My biggest concern is the randomization, as even Minecraft suffered from the randomness not being entirely compatible (far lands, underwater villages, flying gravel, etc.).
Then there's the balance, since there's going to be pebblethrow cases happening (an ability is used in an unintended way with devestating results), and fixes are needed to combat that.

Yeah, the pebblethrow cases are fun, since they involve things like hitting giants with thrown vomit which lodges itself into them, and when it pulls the vomit out it dies shortly after from blood loss, since the vomit hit it's throat.
That's not to mention the Norwegian Blasterjumps, Minecart Torpedoes, Minecart Planes, Thermonuclear Catsplosions, Eye Gouging, and Pierce-Everything-Bows (piercing the legs, arms, and internal organs with a single arrow).
Dwarf Fortress is a strange game.
I'm the Forum Demon, amongst the most active members on the Forum.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Nosebleeds are f***ing annoying!
ericshadow
Survivor

Postby ericshadow » 26 Nov 2012, 16:52

i suppose on reflection it would be hard to make its just that having a survival sandbox set in the pocalypse universe would be awesome
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 26 Nov 2012, 21:48

Yeah, the programming behind things is often far more complicated than the idea seems.
Even a relatively simple map generation algorithm is very difficult to get working constantly.
And multilevel terrain can be a real prick to get going without cutting into other things. Something that Toady of Dwarf Fortress fame has found time and time again.

And while NPC's are great in theory, they are almost always shit, have a look at any modern game. The AI is little better than it was ten, or even twenty years ago.

Though I am all for a Pocalypse game in this sort of direction.
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 27 Nov 2012, 02:46

Yeah, with all the bad things, there's a lot of good things.

There's going to be a lot of pebble incidents, but there's bound to be tales of glory, where the mechanics works perfectly and you managed to overcome almost impossible challenges without pebble incidents.
Yeah, Dwarf Fortress has a couple of those, and they're awesome.

The gameplay style, I love it, it's perfect. organic enviroments are really good, I really want to see things happen without the player stepping in, giving the sense that the world is grand and that you're not the one doing everything.
This will be hard, but of immense meaning, this is one thing Skyrim lacks, and it's apparent, I want to see towns and cities getting conquered and retaken, I want to see meaningful battles happen without the player needing to step in.
I want to see two armies clashing together, with effects for either side if they win or lose, I want those to happen, but the player can choose to interfere.

I've seen too many braging about making an organic world when it's just a series of scripted events making it seem organic. Saints Row 2 did this with gangs attacking your areas, it wasn't great, but it was good and I didn't complain.
Not to mention the base construction, I love that idea, especially if the enemies could actually do damage to the building, which is something Minecraft and Terraria lacks severely (no enemies destroy blocks trying to get to you).

I love the idea, I really do, it will be hard to make such a game, but it could be done.
I'm the Forum Demon, amongst the most active members on the Forum.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Nosebleeds are f***ing annoying!

Return to “Game Discussion”