The Pocalypse Defense 2 Ideas and Brainstorming

Discuss Green Pixel games in here! Feedback, constructive criticism, praise, wishlists, it's all good!
Alekzander
Survivor

Re: The Pocalypse Defense 2 Ideas and Brainstorming

Postby Alekzander » 01 Mar 2012, 18:28

Doc should have some active skill. Some cool gizmo perhaps. EMP gun? Anti-Zombie antivirus? Sun gun against vampires. And it should have a side effect if it hits something else. Like the sun gun should heal and/or supercharge plants. Antivirus restores hybrids. Emp charges up vampires (so they can mindcraft too).

Also, you forgot Scrufflebeck! He should be selectable too. Harry the robot too. Rusty, maybe? Nick? Mayor Ludo? Greybane? Rosa (Vampire powers!)? Samuel (secret unlockable hero)? Bernard (secret secret unlockable hero)? The last two guys should be available for some crazy achievement (like surviving 24 hours in endless) and be mega-imbalanced :twisted:

I think that there should be more accent on the heroes than on standard tower defense mechanics, because a) It would be a nice step away from PvZ. b) It's in the spirit of the webcomic, where the heroes do all the stuff.

And since we have heroes there should be bosses! Not just the usual final one, but smaller ones, like Cross. Maybe if you beat the boss in some strange/difficult/spectacular way (like without a hero, or maybe with just the hero, or within a time limit) he can turn to your side.
aattss
Zombie Hunter

Postby aattss » 02 Mar 2012, 06:55

Alekzander wrote:Doc should have some active skill. Some cool gizmo perhaps. EMP gun? Anti-Zombie antivirus? Sun gun against vampires. And it should have a side effect if it hits something else. Like the sun gun should heal and/or supercharge plants. Antivirus restores hybrids. Emp charges up vampires (so they can mindcraft too).

Also, you forgot Scrufflebeck! He should be selectable too. Harry the robot too. Rusty, maybe? Nick? Mayor Ludo? Greybane? Rosa (Vampire powers!)? Samuel (secret unlockable hero)? Bernard (secret secret unlockable hero)? The last two guys should be available for some crazy achievement (like surviving 24 hours in endless) and be mega-imbalanced :twisted:

I think that there should be more accent on the heroes than on standard tower defense mechanics, because a) It would be a nice step away from PvZ. b) It's in the spirit of the webcomic, where the heroes do all the stuff.

And since we have heroes there should be bosses! Not just the usual final one, but smaller ones, like Cross. Maybe if you beat the boss in some strange/difficult/spectacular way (like without a hero, or maybe with just the hero, or within a time limit) he can turn to your side.

1. Too many heroes is like having too many units. However, maybe new heroes would be somehow evolved from current heroes so that new heroes are just versions of old ones.
2. Don't focus too much on heroes, or you'll be trying to make a tower defense but really making an rpg.
3. Bosses are already comfirmed, although too many heroes isn't a good thing as mentioned earlier. Also, I'll suggest big bosses.
Eldaran
Vampire Slayer

Postby Eldaran » 02 Mar 2012, 12:46

I like the doc's powers... :mrgreen:
I also love Joe's Block ability.. Great Job! :lol:

But i wanted to ask if the abilities of the heroes are automaticly activated or do you do it manual?
Because with Jake the "Hold your ground" ability seems to be more a minus than a plus... maybe if you would add, that infantry (conscripts and soldier) get an att bonus.
It's similar to Doc's: "Where Am I?" ability.. cause these 2 characters have actually abilities that is more a hindrance than something useful. :?: :?: :?:
Maybe when Doc forgets where he is, that he helps to salvage even more, or heals infantry around him?

Heavy Armour: Higher HP, but, if she is removed from the battlefield, you must wait 20 seconds to re-place her.

Does it mean that we can change the heroes in the middle of a fight? If yes, 20 seconds might seem to be a bit too low, because if you want to change her than you want another hero take her place. I think it would be better if it would take 20 sec. to place the new hero then.

With more Heroes, it might be unbalanced or difficult to choose from (Maybe still make Scruffelbeck because many like him)
But yes, "base" and "transform" is what many want.

IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH TIME maybe you can think about (just like the Troops) to give them 2 tech tree's? Bennie could either use his sniper rifle or help salvage, upgrade Drones etc.. Jess could either use her rockets or her close combat skills...
(But to be honest, so more i think about it, so more stupid it sounds) :oops:
The only thing Nobody can give back to you is time. Dont waste it on everyone.
AdricTheGreat
Survivor

Postby AdricTheGreat » 02 Mar 2012, 15:40

I'd really like to see Rosa as a hero unit. As for scrufflebeck, maybe he could be a power that could help Joe from time to time? I think Rosa could have a mind control power (works on zombies only first and then as she levels up it works on higher level things) or maybe a life steal so then she gets HP back from killing things. Of course, she'd only work during night missions.

Doc and Jake do have pretty severe negatives, so either Doc's gun will have to be super powerful to make up for it, or it should be changed. As for Hold Your Ground I think that it should have some bonuses, perhaps he can activate it making him invulnerable for X seconds, or even him and close friendly units. That way he can't move but he can still be useful.

Joe's mind-crafting power seems a little OP. Maybe make a time limit on the blocks he creates? Or have a maximum number of blocks?

Can you explain more what you mean when talking about Jess "if she is removed from the battlefield, you must wait 20 seconds to re-place her" how is that different from other heroes? Do you mean "if she dies" or "if you want to switch heroes" or what? That was kinda unclear and without understanding the mechanic feedback is difficult to provide.
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 03 Mar 2012, 00:10

Big bosses? You mean like that huge Plant Baneling spawning tree?

Well, how about that, a giant tree that's so wide that anyone within range can attack it.
The tree will cause Plant Banelings to spawn, but prevent any other enemy type from spawning.
After a limited amount of time, the tree will uproot and slowly (very slowly) advance towards your base, stopping only to attack.
Well, it's Damage and HP will be as massive as the tree itself.

I'm kinda looking forward to such a boss-fight.
I'm the Forum Demon, amongst the most active members on the Forum.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Nosebleeds are f***ing annoying!
Eldaran
Vampire Slayer

Postby Eldaran » 04 Mar 2012, 09:52

A huge base eating tree???
Well it does sound interesting, but it could be a fun killer... maybe there could be an option in the survival mode? after 80 rounds (or i dont know how long it needs to purchase everything) the tree monster would come and try to devour the base?
The only thing Nobody can give back to you is time. Dont waste it on everyone.
ZidaneRobbie
Zombie Hunter

Postby ZidaneRobbie » 05 Mar 2012, 19:18

Maybe TPD2 Can feature muli-factions. It would be different being able to play Machine Missions, Mutant Bounties or Plant Growth Missions. That would seriously increase the individual identity of the game.

Just wondering.
Ideal Campaign Names:
Machine - The rise of Mechanical Warfare
Mutants - The Bounty Hunting begins
Vampires - Fangs of Glory
Plants - It's Mean to be Green
I'm an inspired writer and wannabe artist. I excel in those trades yet I fall to a good RP with my OCs.
I like eating...and Joe.
Been a fan since...uhhh...2006? I canni mind '-'
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 06 Mar 2012, 00:51

Hehe, I'll try the naming thingy.

Machines - Logically Superior
Mutants - Without Honor or Mercy
Vampires - Vampiric Domination
Plants - Inevitable Entropy
Humans - Strike and Conquer

Mustn't forget the Humans, they need a Campaign Name too.
I'm the Forum Demon, amongst the most active members on the Forum.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Nosebleeds are f***ing annoying!
aattss
Zombie Hunter

Postby aattss » 09 Mar 2012, 12:07

Alekzander wrote:Doc should have some active skill. Some cool gizmo perhaps. EMP gun? Anti-Zombie antivirus? Sun gun against vampires. And it should have a side effect if it hits something else. Like the sun gun should heal and/or supercharge plants. Antivirus restores hybrids. Emp charges up vampires (so they can mindcraft too).

1. Are you sure there's a stable way to implement mindcrafting for enemies?
2. Are you sure those aren't a bit too sane?
Joe
Site Admin

Postby Joe » 10 Mar 2012, 13:19

I really like the idea of having different regions for each of the monster types – zombies, mutants, vampires, machines, and plants. I like this idea since it makes sense that machines and vampires, for example, wouldn’t fight as a team. What do you think of, instead of having wave -> pre-battle screen -> wave -> pre-battle screen -> wave, etc., TPD2 featured a map system that would let you travel from region to region, unlocking stages as you went? So, like Demon’s Souls (heh heh), you could start at Region 1, Stage 1 (1-1), then move to 2-1, unlock a unit, then go back to 1-2. What do you think? :D

Return to “Game Discussion”