"BlockHopper" Bug Reports

Let us know about our games' bugs and technical issues in here! Thanks for bug hunting!
Joe
Site Admin

"BlockHopper" Bug Reports

Postby Joe » 02 Sep 2011, 12:19

Please post any bugs you find in BlockHopper here!

Please be sure to mention what you were doing and where you were when the bug occurred (menu, in-game, etc.). If applicable please mention the Level ID in which the bug occurred. Be as detailed and descriptive as possible, so that we can re-create the bug and squash the bastard! :D
ZidaneRobbie
Zombie Hunter

Re: "BlockHopper" Bug Reports

Postby ZidaneRobbie » 02 Sep 2011, 14:32

Not all block can be deleted in the Editor, the red key part isn't deletable, so is the ones that fire beams.

Level 5, missing text when you hit spikes or when u suicide, says "Spike text" for the spikes kill and "self-destruct" text when u suicide.
I'm an inspired writer and wannabe artist. I excel in those trades yet I fall to a good RP with my OCs.
I like eating...and Joe.
Been a fan since...uhhh...2006? I canni mind '-'
hush
Survivor

Postby hush » 03 Sep 2011, 05:55

Hi ZidaneRobbie! Thanks for the feedback. :D

The non-deleting blocks thing in the editor is intentional. The blocks on the sides and the three rows at the tops cannot be deleted, but they can be changed.
As for deleting the "special blocks" like the beams and switches, they can be removed, but you have to select the blank square to the left of the goal block and above the spikes. I agree that this is a bad system, and it will be fixed before the final build. :D
Also pressing "E" for the eraser tool will delete special blocks and normal blocks at the same time.

All the text in the game right now is placeholder, we're leaving it until the end. Some of the levels do not display text because there isn't any just yet. I agree that it looks weird, so each level will have at least something to say.

Thanks for playing!
Merostomata
Vampire Slayer

Postby Merostomata » 03 Sep 2011, 11:10

I tried to play just recently, but during the block placing section in... I think level 4 or 5, the one where you have to go up a cliff by making block platforms, well, I moved the cursor off of the little screen. When I moved it back in, I couldn't place any blocks.
Hello!
tristan
Survivor

Postby tristan » 03 Sep 2011, 11:31

I'm playing on a Mac Book Pro and having to use the scroll function on a touch pad to choose blocks is a little rough (it's something like rolling dice).

Also, level 8 is a little frustrating. I mean, I like a good challenge, but having to set up all of those blocks over and over again is a little souring (it might once again, be the touch pad). I understand if you don't want to reduce the challenge, but I thought I'd just put that out there. Also, I assume I'm going to have to place an elevator brick once I get to the right point on level 8, and I think that is going to be a bit tough using a touch pad, primarily since my right hand is tied up with the arrow keys and I normally use it to mouse about.

My suggestion is to also have WASD as a control option, with Q and E as block switching controls. I don't know if that conflicts with gameplay in later levels, so if it does just disregard it.

Thanks!
tristan
Survivor

Postby tristan » 03 Sep 2011, 11:34

You know what, I take that back about reducing the challenge on level 8. it was really intense with the touch pad but I managed it and it was pleasantly satisfying to complete. My palms were actually sweating trying to get the last block into place with my off hand while trying o stay on the conveyor belt.
FireREGS
Survivor

Postby FireREGS » 03 Sep 2011, 15:19

This more than a bug, its an error in gameplay design, you have to be TOO DAMN accurate with your jumps, for achieving a 3 block jump, you have to start the jump on the edge of the block you will jump from and of course not release the up button, and not to mention that the jump sensitivity isn't useful at all, there aren't any jumps that need a short jump instead of a high jump (its even easier to use a high jump for a 1 block jump than with a short jump).

Yet, keep the good work and fix the problems the game may have.
WindWhitestorm
Zombie Hunter

Postby WindWhitestorm » 03 Sep 2011, 19:33

First off, GREAT GAME. VERY CHALLENGING.

The editor: You can't shift the spawn point and my character spawns in the blocks at the upper left hand corner. And is it possible move the cursor to expand the map?

And I agree with the WASD option.
Hello :D
ZidaneRobbie
Zombie Hunter

Postby ZidaneRobbie » 03 Sep 2011, 19:50

hush wrote:Hi ZidaneRobbie! Thanks for the feedback. :D

The non-deleting blocks thing in the editor is intentional. The blocks on the sides and the three rows at the tops cannot be deleted, but they can be changed.
As for deleting the "special blocks" like the beams and switches, they can be removed, but you have to select the blank square to the left of the goal block and above the spikes. I agree that this is a bad system, and it will be fixed before the final build. :D
Also pressing "E" for the eraser tool will delete special blocks and normal blocks at the same time.

All the text in the game right now is placeholder, we're leaving it until the end. Some of the levels do not display text because there isn't any just yet. I agree that it looks weird, so each level will have at least something to say.

Thanks for playing!

Not a problemo then, thnx. btw i think my spider demon guy looks good in the forum :D not showing off though lol
I'm an inspired writer and wannabe artist. I excel in those trades yet I fall to a good RP with my OCs.
I like eating...and Joe.
Been a fan since...uhhh...2006? I canni mind '-'
hush
Survivor

Postby hush » 04 Sep 2011, 07:38

@Merostomata: I will look into this! Not being able to place blocks might make things tricky. :D

@tristan: You'll have to excuse me, I'm a lefty, so I forget the arrow keys are not much fun for right-handed folks. :D Joe even keeps reminding me to add WASD. So yes! The next build will include this. Good call on adding block switching keys. Q and E seems like a good choice, I'll move the self-destruct key to something else. I'm glad you enjoy the challenge, I'm going for a Super Meat Boy / League of Evil type deal. Where it's challenging, but not in a cheap way. I actually toned down some of the levels, I got pretty good at them when I was testing and the result was me tweaking everything so you had to be perfect to complete them. Playing something like that for the first time can lead to rage!

@FireREGS: Originally I had the jumps always reach a certain height when you pressed the button, but then it put a restriction on over-head spikes. I might look into making Bit walk a bit faster and then he can jump further. :D

@WindWhitestorm: The spawn point can be placed by adding the image of Bit to the level. :D Sorry for the lack of editor documentation! Sadly, the maps are a fixed size just to make the code easier. :( You can scroll around with the arrow keys.

@ZidaneRobbie It is sharp looking! I still remember Doom 2 blowing my mind when it came out. The WAD file was actually bigger than my computer's harddrive at the time. :)

Return to “Bug Reports/Technical Issues”