For RP's which follows one character (eg. Spore game )
- Always put up stats. Always. Never do an update without this. Ever. People can't act if they don't know stuff
- Be detailed. Putting "There's 5 people and a dog in a room" is, well, just lazy. You don't have to go over the top, but putting "There are 5 people in the new lab. Four are males, in there 40's, one of them has a guide dog. The last is a female in her eairly twentys. There all armed with metal stands or chairs." Dose not take long.
- If we get a new upgrade or something, tell us in the post. It's stupid to keep the player guessing when they've just Gotten the thing.
For any RP that requires an update by a GM
- Keep a regular updating time. Say, once every other day, or when you have X amount of posts since the last update.
- Don't get a helper, unless you're willing to give them All the information. You'll need to PM them quite a bit if you have set plot-lines n' stuff.
- If you can't update for whatever reason, let people know. If you're going on holiday, you might want to get a helper. They could update once every now and then, just to keep people at the RP.
Any RP that has Character forms
- Find out where they're posting the forms! Don't just post in that thread!
- Find out the rules before posting. Sometimes it's just easier to ask where it is.
- Never God mode! I've yet to find a RP where God modding is allowed. This includes: Knowing stuff you shouldn't, controling another persons character, and doing really stupid stuff (like learning to fly when you're a human). Most GM's will propably kick you out there and then, or may give you a telling off, depending on how bad you do it. And anyway, you're defeating the Point of Roleplaying if you start controlling everyones characters.
Genrall RPing Tips
- Keep the setting new. Cloning something that's already been done is just lame, if there's nothing new.
- Double check what you post. If people can't understand it, they'll break the flow of the RP to try and find out, or do something that they shouldn't.
- Use proper grammar and spelling. Dosn't have to be perfect, but good enough to read. I'm not going to attempt to give a good example, cause my spelling sucks >.<
- Let people know if you're going to be away. It genrally helps if they do... (I know I've failed at this point...)
I think that's it. Post what you think, or if there is a point I should change/add/remove.
Edit: No idea how to use bullet points here... *Sigh*
Edit2: Sorted (needed to add [list] to the stuff)