AIOS

For all your roleplaying needs!
Merostomata
Vampire Slayer

Re: AIOS

Postby Merostomata » 08 Sep 2011, 06:29

That doesn't change the fact that we've been infected with a virus, and you two seem to be thinking that the word 'sentient' can be easily exchanged for 'magic'. Sentience implies conciousness and the ability to feel; in other words, this virus recognizes its own existence, which is a step above today's computers... however, the AI we are taking the role of is sapient, which blows sentient out of the water. Let me dissect this.

You're missing the key word: Sentient. It's conscious, it can think, it's possibilities are endless,

Being 'sentient' doesn't mean it can think, though it does mean that it is conscious. You know what is obviously a thinker? Our own AI. There are far more 'possibilities' embodied in our own form, let's try to avoid risking that for the sake of some virus on our system.

also it could take over other ships, and we would have an army.

... and this is demonstrated where? What would we need an army for, anyway? We're trying to repair ourselves back to our basic state, how about we not risk that on the off chance that this virus is absolutely benevolent for some reason? How does making an army of ships controlled by a virus embedded in our system possibly sound like it could be a good idea?

What would the creators think? How would they react to a sentient virus? They would be quite interested,

If they're advanced to the point of creating us, an actual sapient AI, I'm thinking that a sentient virus seems more along the technological lines of a simple project for school.

if they try to kill us, then we'll strike, disable their communication, and then kill the witnesses.

We, the mighty army of a heavily damaged and unarmbed probe... and our main computer infested with a virus, to boot. Why would we want to kill our creators, anyway, or even have the capacity to do so? Surely they'd have come up with something along the lines of a first law of robotics?

Maybe the virus is helping us, they would easily realize that without us, they wouldn't survive, they don't know how to operate this ship, we do, and our supplies are finite.

Except that it's sentient, not sapient, it can't reason, thus it cannot realize anything. Why would someone infect us with a virus to help us, anyway? Why not fix us up if they were intending to treat us to something good?

I'm with Happy on this, a sentient virus would be extremely helpful in almost every respect as long as it doesn't try to kill us.

That's a pretty big 'if' to risk, don't you think? Our continued existence for the off chance the virus somehow turns out to be useful? How exactly would a virus be helpful in getting ourself repaired, anyway?
Hello!
Kevak
Mindcrafter

Postby Kevak » 08 Sep 2011, 10:51

Well maybe it knows how to get to candy mountain, and in the future, candy mountain would most certainly be a shipyard.
Woof.
Merostomata
Vampire Slayer

Postby Merostomata » 08 Sep 2011, 11:50

This is like encouraging the suspected serial killer you found in your car after you woke up at the rest stop to stay because he just might know where the nearest gas station is, maybe.
Hello!
Kevak
Mindcrafter

Postby Kevak » 08 Sep 2011, 12:22

Which as we all know, is a fantastic idea that could never go bad!
Woof.
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 08 Sep 2011, 23:49

Now this is becoming a debate until The Ghost updates.

What makes you think a sentient virus is evil, have you ever seen one?
Your tunnel-vision is blinding you, you think of a single thing, and stick to it, you nit-pick my reason, and leave holes in your own (yes I admit I have been saying only one side of the case, but that's to balance things out).

I never implied that being sentient makes it magic, magic is nothing like what I said, since we all know that mythological magic is f***ing evil, and will try to kill you whenever it gets the chance.

Also, what would deleting the virus accomplish, more empty disk space? What does that help if we don't have anything to put on it, fragmenting files is a horrible idea.
The virus is most probably garbling data, that is a good thing, since that makes it so that there's less space for spyware and such.
We can't make copies of ourselves since we still need to copy the core files, the core files would have to be activated, and that could cause logic errors.
If people try to hack us, then they might miss, and get infected with a virus. The dormant one however, that's something to worry about, since that's in our core files.
So there is more good then bad in keeping the viruses there as just that, a virus.

Also, there is no risk in keeping them, there is no way to recover the files, and there's no way to remove the viruses unless we reformat the storage unit, deleting everything that's on it.
There is no way for it to pass storage units if it's cut off from the core, and it can't operate the ship, if it can, then it's clearly more than sentient as you said.

SCIENCE!
If we study the behavior of the active ones, we might be able to avert a too big catastrophe if the one in our core files goes active.
We could even counter it, the main priority is the dormant one, the dormant one we must remove first, since that can cause some catastrophic corruption.
You're saying why we need to remove the one in the slave files, but what about the core files, that's the f***ing danger, that is, and always will be, our first priority, without core files, we wont make it.

Also, we're unarmed, we're at risk until we get a weapon, viruses can f*** things up, that's the main thing it does.
What if it's a spyware program, it could help us if we could trace it, and deleted viruses can't be traced, still, the core is the first priority, and maybe we should f*** the core one up, and change it's name, i vote for 'Mr. Crunchy'.
Naming things cause less confusion, most of the time.
Wait! We could move it (though that might activate it, and it would f*** us up).

Well, we can cut the 3 viruses off, right? It would make sense if we could.
I'm the Forum Demon, amongst the most active members on the Forum.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Nosebleeds are f***ing annoying!
Kevak
Mindcrafter

Postby Kevak » 09 Sep 2011, 02:31

Maybe we could try to isolate them by locating and disconnecting connections to whatever storage unit they are in.
Woof.
Irish Psycho
Zombie Hunter
Location: in that place where stuff happensand and that thing is

Postby Irish Psycho » 16 Sep 2011, 00:17

i'm going to have to side with meso on this.unless it's possible to find a definite way to ensure that the viruses can't do any damage, they're to much of an unknown to trust.

after reading everything, i just thought i'd come up with a visual (this is mostly to help me, i can understand it better)
we have just woken up, tired, badly bruised and hurt, and quite weak.we have seen an area with plenty of food and water, and another one an equal distance away there are medical supplies. we have just noticed three dogs wandering a fair bit away, and we do not know if they have seen us yet or not, we can do two things with them, we could try to train them and have them help us, this will either work or they will attack us, or we could kill them to remove the threat, though they may try and fight back if that happens.
I'm not insane, i'm only semi-sane.
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 16 Sep 2011, 00:33

Uh.. that's the thing, we can't get rid of them, unless we dump the storage units (at least not that I remember, and this is beyond SSD, so simple reformatting may not be possible).
Thus metaphorically it's more like the dogs are in cages, but attached to you, and getting the dogs away would need you detach parts of yourself (I don't think there's an in-built way to do that, so we need to cut them off).

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

HD Cerberus
Vampire Slayer

Postby HD Cerberus » 16 Sep 2011, 10:08

Gonna assume that you probably could get rid of them. Being a sentient AI, probably smart enough to destroy a virus.
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 16 Sep 2011, 13:06

Silverware said it to be unlikely for us to get rid of the virus, so it'll stay until we verify it completely useless, and get the means to remove them with.
Drones near storage units = High chance of electromagnetic damage to equipment.

Wait, let's do both those thingies (reformat all devices, and reinstall AIOS on master device).
I wanted virus infecting robot cats, but you thought a stupid virus could get through firewalls and infect us, when it's put at block all.

Return to “Forum Roleplaying”