TES Morrowind

Discuss game-related topics here!
Eldaran
Vampire Slayer

TES Morrowind

Postby Eldaran » 19 Oct 2012, 18:11

Yeah! i found this treasure in my box and installed it at once. The graphic is... ok. But the gameplay is just great!

I haven't played skyrim, but till now this is my favorite TES.

I love it that you can build/grow your own house, just would have loved to get tax or something from the people inside...

How do you think about this game?
The only thing Nobody can give back to you is time. Dont waste it on everyone.
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Re: TES Morrowind

Postby Happy Demon » 19 Oct 2012, 22:45

The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind is the first The Elder Scrolls game I played, I love it, but it has problems.
1. Some designs, I got to admit, I really don't like the Ebony Armor design in Morrowind, it looks ugly in comparison to the Skyrim one in my opinion.
2. No ingame indication of ownership, so you can't know what you're allowed to take of Caidus Cussades (I think that's his name, I kinda forget after a couple years) stuff, or the Fighter's guild.
3. Very RPG like, it's a first person RPG, but it's not an action RPG, there's still miss chances, even when you hit the target dead on.
4. Fatigue, oh god this is a pain, when people attack you bare handed they damage your fatigue, once you run out you're stunned, and they damage the health, this also makes using hand-to-hand very bothersome.
5. You're the only one who gets wanted, I've seen a creature kill a citizen in Seyda Neen and the guards blaming me for the murder, when it was in plain sight, and the guard killed the creature.

But there are some areas where it's superior to Skyrim.
1. Durability, in Skyrim there was a problem, once you get a deadric weapon you'd only use that, in Morrowind you couldn't, because it would break eventually, so you'd have to maintain it, thus making you have to be careful.
2. Persistent ownership, when you steal something from someone and sell it to someone else, you'll be fine, you'll get your gold and such, but if you try to sell it to the owner, they'll find out and report you.
3. More Armor Skills, this is one thing that I love, there aren't just Light, and Heavy Armor skills, there's also Medium and Unarmored skills, I think meduim armor is king, since it has higher armor than light and less weight than heavy.
4. Incorporeal enemies, this is also fun, since it makes you have to plan ahead and maybe grab a destruction spell or a magic arrow, instead of just hacking all the enemies to pieces.
5. More Weapon Skills, oh my, this is the best, you had more than 3 weapon skills, you had: short blade, long blade, marksmanship, axe, blunt weapons, hand-to-hand, and polearm skills, which makes you have to plan ahead more.

Some say that removing things like incorporeal enemies, durability, and skills is a good thing, but I disagree, since they make it more complex and hard.
I'm the Forum Demon, amongst the most active members on the Forum.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Nosebleeds are f***ing annoying!
Eldaran
Vampire Slayer

Postby Eldaran » 21 Oct 2012, 16:40

I think i agree with the most you said, but not all.
1. Well the armor design is a personal thing, i don't like most designs in TES3 and TES4
2. I think that's good, in real life you also only know that if it's in someones home, you shouldn't take it.
3. Ok i agree with this one, but otherwise the weapon skills would be useless
4. I love it, but i think its a pain if you want to run (huge area)
5. Ok i agree on this one. (though it never happened to me)

I love the huge skill tree specially the weapon skills and armor skills (as a Mage i love the unarmored skill) in the 4th it was already missing.

In my opinion the huge skill tree has a big advantage, you can't be a Warrior/Barbarian/Wizard/Thief/Mage/Soldier/etc. you had to focus on 1-2 classes. (ok if you spent enough time you could be all this)
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 21 Oct 2012, 17:17

Well let me elaborate on the whole no indication of ownership.

Caidus Cussades says that you can make yourself as home and that he'll share his possesions, but that's not entirely true.
The Fighters Guild has items which they allow you to take at certain ranks in the Fighters Guild, but there's little to no indication that you're allowed.

I actually love the Medium Armor Skill the most, since it's balanced and makes being a spellsword so much easier and fun (but the Heavy Armors are much more powerful late-game, but they weigh a ton).
Spellcraft, oh this is where I can let my imagination go wild, you can make any spell you want granted you got the gold for it (and knowledge of the effect).

Oh, and more things I find Morowind is superior in Skyrim is:
1. Racial bonuses and penalties, this is an important feature, the human and elf races have slight bonuses, but the beast races' are insane (argonian poison immunity, etc.), but there's a catch, they cannot wear either footwear nor full-helmets.
2. Armor sets, the armor in this game consists of a lot of parts, there's 10 parts to each armor set, so you can personalize the heck out of your armor set.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Eldaran
Vampire Slayer

Postby Eldaran » 21 Oct 2012, 18:42

Yeah he could explain it better what you can take and what not, but in the guilds its all the same, everything in the chest (which is labeled)
Yeah, spell craft. Another bonus feature i didn't know they took out of Skyrim, since i m a huge Mage fan (or maybe thief) i love it being able to come up with my own spells.
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 23 Oct 2012, 05:01

Also, higher skills cap, I can't even count how high the number goes, but I know it's in the thousands.

I didn't quite like that they removed the Athletics and Acrobatics skills in Skyrim, those skills made things easier, since Athletics let you run faster and longer while Acrobatics let you jump higher and better.
I guess they did it so that the whirlwind shout would be more useful. But I still wanted a dovahkin which could run fast and jump high, allowing stealth classes not to suck during dragon fights.
I don't really see the logic in making the movement shout have a cooldown, since it doesn't make it good in fights where you'd want to dodge attacks more than once.

Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 23 Oct 2012, 10:58

They removed Athletics and Acrobatics because these skills were a way to quickly over-level your character to the point where all the leveled mobs owned you.
Only thing I miss is making potions in morrowind. Once accidentally wrapped the numbers for my int, got to negative 2 billion or so.
You could easily make potions that would take 4 or 5 years of gametime to wear off.
Eldaran
Vampire Slayer

Postby Eldaran » 09 Apr 2013, 13:19

I have some graphic enhancing mods but mostly just added a few things to the Strongholds (specially the Telvanni, since i usually play as mage)
Something i hated was that after such a long time building your "stronghold" and doing everything for those lazy **** they give you 3 buildings and if you are not Telvanni a wall...
I mean how should i help to defend morrowind if i even don't have some guards? (Telvanni has 4 Dwemer constructs and Hlaalu not even a guard)

Return to “Gaming Spot”