Tambora MUD

Discuss game-related topics here!
Silverware
Site Admin

Tambora MUD

Postby Silverware » 29 Sep 2012, 15:48

Hey guys, anyone remember the days of console only gaming? I sure don't.
But these sorts of games are awesome, because anything that can be thought of can be implemented. So long as you have a good coder of course.

But there is a particular branch of text based adventure games, known as MUD's or Multi-User Dimensions.
MUD's were the first of the large scale multiplayer games, they were the forerunners of games like EVE online and World of Warcraft.

I have wanted to build a MUD since I first started playing them like 12 years ago.
And I have finally set one up, however all the current content is merely the examples and defaults that allow people to start building upon them.

My current world idea. (Basically Sword Art Online if you have read the light novel, or are watching the anime)
You spawn into the world, a virtual reality game, where death is permanant.
The game itself starts you and all the other players on the first floor of a giant castle-thing. Each floor is kilometers in radius, and contains entire biomes.
In the center of each floor is a massive hollow pillar, which is filled with a large dungeon. Each floor has it's own style of enemies, and each floor is harder than the one before it.
At the top of every dungeon, just before the entrance to the next floor is a boss room. Each boss should require many people to defeat, but once defeated the next floor is open for everyone and a teleportation system allows players to move from floor to floor in safety.
Each floor also has a city, each is unique and different. And allows users to buy an estate and build their own homes. They will also allow players to hire a shopkeep that buys and sell items on behalf of the player.

Players can select upto 8 different skills at a time to be active, allowing them access to the abilities and actions that these skills unlock and improve.
When a player discards a skill from their active slots they get a penalty on it, my current thoughts are that it loses all levels it had. To discourage players from chaning too often.
Skills include crafting and weapon skills, spotting and tracking and hiding skills, and many more.
Some have requirements of other skills being at a particular level, but once unlocked they will remain unlocked even if you drop one of the prerequsite skills
Players level as they kill things, or succeed with skills/abilities. Also use of a skill improves it and levels it up.

There will be no magic, and no ranged weapons in the game. And it will include melee weapon types from all over the world from the early bronze age to the late medieval era.
Monsters will also be able to use these same skills, throwing some real difficulty into the game.

NPC humans will be limited, quite possibly not even included, except for shopkeeps owned by players.
Player killing will be allowed, but having commited a crime will display your name in yellow, while having killed lately will display it in red.
If you do not do any crime for a period of time your name will return to its standard color.

That's the idea I have, do you guys like the idea? or do you think it should be changed?
If you think it should be changed, what ideas do you guys think would be fun?
Also how many people would be interested in actually coding areas, objects, and other features?
ZidaneRobbie
Zombie Hunter

Re: Tambora MUD

Postby ZidaneRobbie » 08 Oct 2012, 19:42

This game suggestion reminds me of Rengoku: Tower of Puragatory.

Its like what you're on about in terms of the architype; it's based on a tower (In your case, your castle) where you start off at the ground level and then you fight your way through each floor, exploring everything Before the elevator to the next floor activates, but there are some traps that only open when all enemies are exterminate inc. those who spawn to replace some of the enemies.
Between every floor, you face a boss who may have the technology of the above floor.

The goal is to reach the top, obviously.

I'm an inspired writer and wannabe artist. I excel in those trades yet I fall to a good RP with my OCs.
I like eating...and Joe.
Been a fan since...uhhh...2006? I canni mind '-'
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 09 Oct 2012, 10:42

Yeah that's the kind of idea I had, except without the requirement to clear each level fully, and all done in text.

Although I did come up with another idea, where players are captains of a spaceship, and can upgrade it, buy new ones, engage in combat, trade, exploration and various other things.
Although that would be more difficult to get started, as I would have to throw out ALL the baseline code that most MudLibs come with.
ZidaneRobbie
Zombie Hunter

Postby ZidaneRobbie » 09 Oct 2012, 18:08

well it's similar
I'm an inspired writer and wannabe artist. I excel in those trades yet I fall to a good RP with my OCs.
I like eating...and Joe.
Been a fan since...uhhh...2006? I canni mind '-'
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 10 Oct 2012, 00:06

Well, you'll never know the result if you don't try.
I've wanted to try a game where I can upgrade my spaceship, you'd be surprised how few of them there are.
Most either have minor upgrades (swapping a couple modules) which in order for you to do anything other than that you'll have to switch ships, or they don't last very long (each game lasts as long as a Leage of Legends match).
Seriously, I want a game where you keep your spaceship and upgrade it part by part, since some Ships looks worse than the one you had before (not to mention the hassle of finding the one ship you want).
Granted, doing a text based one would make the ship's appearance non-important, but I like having one ship a long time (it's why I like Darkstar One, you know which ship is yours because it looks familiar).
I'm the Forum Demon, amongst the most active members on the Forum.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Nosebleeds are f***ing annoying!
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 10 Oct 2012, 10:51

Yeah.
I was thinking allowing customization right down to the size of the hull, and the material your armor is made of.
Having everything effect your ships abilities in every situation, and giving you control over the crew you hire.
Letting you train up crew members, who may get killed in a boarding action or from a hull-penetration.

The hardest thing is working out the initial code to get a basic ship-frame going and allowing movement between planets and landing at different sites on the planets.
Although this entire thing is still theory rather than actual code or anything yet, I am just too busy for the next few weeks to get anything much done.

Return to “Gaming Spot”