Space Strategy.

Discuss game-related topics here!
Kevak
Mindcrafter

Re: Space Strategy.

Postby Kevak » 12 Aug 2013, 18:03

Ah, you could use the Star Ruler ship design system, it might work for that.
Woof.
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 13 Aug 2013, 13:30

Yeah I was thinking something like that.
I am working on a glossary of base terms for things, and will share once it's done.

Ship mines Ore.
Ore refined into Metal.
Metal reacted into Alloy.
Alloy crafted into Hull.
Hull crafted into Ship.
Ship mines Ore.

The cycle of life spaceships!
Kevak
Mindcrafter

Postby Kevak » 14 Aug 2013, 00:25

You could use a grid based setup for ship parts. Or a click/drag setup, art would be the same, just you could change the interiors of the ship.
Woof.
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 14 Aug 2013, 06:31

No, the idea is to keep away from things that are potentially limiting.
I want people to be able to make a hull the size of a planet if they REALLY want to, and spend the billions upon billions of resources required to do so.

The idea is more like pressing a plus to add a new module, then selecting it from a drop down, and selecting how many of it.
And seeing the predicted stats change based on the new module(s).

Art for ships will mostly be representative of their size, all other details require more specific analysis of the incoming ships.
It's easy to see a ship in space, and easy to get it's size, mass, and speed. Harder to detect what armaments the ship has, or its shielding, etc.
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 14 Aug 2013, 15:41

Hm... I seem to get a general idea of something that may work in conjunction with that.

You add frames to the ship (which erxpand the ship), put an internal module in it (or several if the frame is large enough), put in an external module, and then a plating module.
And then there could be internal and external armor which allows you to make an all-or-nothing armor setup which makes the external armor weak, but constructs a heavy citadel (it's not a building when talking battleships) around the core, so you can put munitions storage and energy generators there and have them reasonably safe.

But will the parts be possible for different materials which may be more common in different places?
Like if a ship has been damaged in a fight and instead of returning to base imediately for repairs, they make makeshift repairs with local resources which makes them less vunerable to additional attacks.
Maybe you've found a new material which works better, so instead of repairing it with the old material, all repairs are with the new.
Since that would be awesome if graphical (you can see it's been in some battles) and give the ships some sort of individuality.
I'm the Forum Demon, amongst the most active members on the Forum.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Nosebleeds are f***ing annoying!
GerardMo
Survivor

Postby GerardMo » 01 Aug 2017, 17:07

Kevak wrote:Ah, you could use the Star Ruler ship design system, it might work for that.

Where's that?

Return to “Gaming Spot”