Space Strategy.

Discuss game-related topics here!
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Re: Space Strategy.

Postby Happy Demon » 04 Jun 2012, 02:31

Ah, good, that way I don't need to get used to an entirely different drawing program.
I'm the Forum Demon, amongst the most active members on the Forum.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Nosebleeds are f***ing annoying!
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 04 Jun 2012, 09:59

Yeah it can be annoying to figure out SVG. I like it though, reminds me of the GML draw functions I used alot. Except easier to draw irregular polygons.
Kevak
Mindcrafter

Postby Kevak » 25 Jul 2013, 17:11

This has promise, I may be able go help with the coding when you get around to that. Until you get around to that, I will suggest things: I think debris should stay as a permanent piece of the map until harvested by a player, it would add quite a bit to the atmosphere in contested systems if the shattered hulls of countless spaceships from countless battles littered a valuable system. Players would probably be able to salvage these for parts and material as well. It could lead to a whole other player group that lives off the debris from combat based players.

(Good luck trying to make sense of the jumbled and repeated statements, I ramble often.)
Woof.
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 26 Jul 2013, 07:13

The persistence of Debris was intended from the start, I always liked that idea.

I have also been slowly refining my ideas on this game.
It has now morphed into a more interesting version.

Basically you start as an AI, in a tiny little probe, with a little of all basic technology, and capable of doing anything, and made by humanity.
You get shunted through a wormhole from the Sol system, with no orders, and no goals. You end up in a foreign galaxy, or even a foreign universe, and get placed in a randomish star system.
Your first actions would be to find a base of operations, an Asteroid field or a smaller planetoid or moon.
You would set up mining operations, collecting a set of randomly generated Ores. Each ore would have a different composition from the few raw materials.
Name - Analogue
Ferium - Iron
Litholium - Titanium
Bauxium - Aluminium
Aurium - Gold
Samarium - Samarium (Yes, Samarium is a real metal, its a slightly radioactive transitory metal.)
Carbon (I don't have a good alternative name for this yet.)
Kremenium - Quartz
Tralphium - Helium 3
And something else I haven't figured out yet. (Likely a reactive Gas, like Oxygen)

These ores would then be refined into their base components.

To make something you would have to spend time researching and designing a new part.
If Ores, and Raw Materials are the lowest level, parts are a medium level.
Parts are anything from Engines, to Generators, to Hulls and Armors.
When designing a part you can specify focuses, so on Engines you could focus on maneuverability and lose out on speed, or efficiency. Then you can name the design, and you get a blueprint for it. (which you can copy and trade)
Blueprints can then be used to manufacture the parts, from raw materials, or other parts, as needed. The requirements are either generated or predefined, and are based on the quality of the blueprint and the size of the part that the blueprint is for.
You can also save on manufacturing cost by having a better manufacturing kit, and having better skills.

Modules are simply parts that are able to be swapped on a ship, like turrets, or datacards.

Once you design a hull for a ship, and have the blueprint for it, you can use that hull to design a new ship. Selecting other parts you have access to.
This produces another blueprint which can be used to manufacture a ship.

Ships require at the least:
A generator, an Engine, an AI core, an Entangled Comms Relay, A hull, and an Armor.
You can also add manufacturing, or cargo bays, and plenty of other things to the ship.

Once produced and ready, ships can be put into fleets, and given jobs.
So long as you have at least ONE AI core alive you are considered alive. As each core is a copy of yourself.
Cores can have Datacards slotted into them, these datacards are leveled skills, which can be purchased off of other players, or produced when you have spent time doing research on the datacard, AND have accrued experience on one. Experience is gained by doing whatever the datacard is for, gunnery would require combat, manufacturing would require producing items or ships. Etc.

Leveled data cards, and blueprints can ONLY be copied if they are your original items.
However datacards are not used up and can be unslotted, and might survive a ship explosion, so salvagers could acquire them from debris later.
Blueprint copies have a limited number of uses, which is determined when copying them.

All items in a ship are either destroyed or dropped when the ship explodes, and about 50-75% of the mass of the ship is dropped in wreckage. Which can be refined into the various raw materials again. Though only the mass of the destroyed parts will be dropped. Any surviving parts will drop also, but this is less likely.
However salvaging after combat will be a worthwhile investment of time.

You will also be able to make immobile space stations, although I have not decided on the mechanics for this. It may just be spawning a "moon" ship around a planet, or an "asteroid" ship in an asteroid belt.

Also possible would be bases, which are essentially landed ships. And these can be used to mine from planets, or refine on planets.
Although the requirements in fuel to move everything into space again is significant, and more so from larger planets, and even worse on atmospheric planets.

Players would be able to group together, and call their group anything from a Bank to a Syndicate to a Corporation. And they can join these together in a GroupGroup, an alliance or a conglomerate or whathaveyou.
These would be able to dictate each other as friendly, or enemy. And you could dictate individuals for FoF (Friend or Foe), or groups or groupgroups.
These settings would show up, and control auto-conflicts. Enemies of your group or groupgroup would be auto-engaged, unless they are a friend of you.

Fleets of ships would be able to divide their individual ships into different flotillas.
The Vanguard - Auto Attackers, first into combat.
The Rear Guard - Ships that engage Wolfpack groups, and protect the support ships.
The Wolfpack - Ships that attempt to engage enemy support, and non-combat ships.
The Auxiliaries - Ships that keep out of the fight, but shoot at targets. (Primarily snipers)
The Support - Repair ships, Carriers, anything that doesn't shoot, but helps in combat.
The Non-Combatants - The cargo ships, tankers, anything that doesn't want to be shot at.

These would determine how combat flowed.
Combat would take but a second of real time, as time would be accelerated. A real day would be about an ingame month or maybe year.
This would allow STL (slower than light) movement between planets, and slow FTL or STL between stars.

Money would be a thing that Groups manufacture, it is essentially a line of credit backed by the group. Money has no intrinsic worth, and there is no enforced currency. It is ONLY a thing that can be used in place of trade goods.
Most trade early on would be barter, while later into the game Banking Syndicates would appear slowly and hopefully people would begin to trust them.
Using their currencies to sell and buy goods. This would allow a VERY organic market, with everything from inflation, to currency collapses.

Players have perma-death enabled. So once you die, your character is dead, and all items you had are now debris.
Death happens when the last AI core of yours is destroyed or deactivated.
You then respawn with the starter ship, no currency, and in a new system.
Death is a bitch.

This game is designed as a Hardcore Sandbox, where all things other than the starting probe, are player designed, player made, player traded, player owned, and player destroyed.
There are no AI, and PvP is the only combat system.

Yes there will be pirate groups, yes eventually there will be police groups.
But this will all evolve naturally over time.

Also any individual tagged as a friend, who attacks you, is re-tagged as an antagonist. Which has a different color, and you can select between autoattacking antagonists, or only fighting back when attacked,
This same system works for groups, and groupgroups.
You can also choose to tag the antagonist's group or groupgroup as an antagonist by default when attacked by one.
Allowing policing, and auto retaliation, in case you aren't on when attacked.

The entire game would be F2P with NO paid elements, running on donations. Or a cheap P2P model, also with no microtransactions.
It would never be pay to win, because that ruins the entire point of the game.
Also all real-money transactions would be banned. and result in the removal of your character.

The only banned actions would be real-money transactions, and game hacking.
Everything else is fair game, from piracy, to scamming, to banditry, to protection rackets, to ponzi schemes.
Much like EVE online is, but far far more sandboxy than EVE could ever hope to be.

These are still just the outlines for the game, trying to work out the algorithms for the background is a pain in the butt.
But the idea is sound, and the game would be immensely fun once you got a good base of operations going, and had a specialty.
Also once a large trade center got going, you would start to see the game come into it's own, as players would no longer need to build their own shit, as they could just buy it. Everything from Ships to ore could be sold/traded.
Kevak
Mindcrafter

Postby Kevak » 26 Jul 2013, 15:46

If you are doing 2d then it should be fairly easy to procedurally generate a system when a player enters it, you won't need to manually make systems since it will likely get to the trillions of systems and googles of objects. It won't take up too much space since the system could be seeded and objects could have their own seeds instead of massive quantities of graphical pictures and data.
Woof.
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 02 Aug 2013, 10:39

The idea is to make it a Text based Browser game for instant cross platform support.
It also means that graphics are right out of scope, and can be added later to make it pretty.

The universe will be procedural, seeing as there is nothing that can't be. However the moment someone starts mining a planet or asteroid that data needs to be stored, so the system knows that the resources have been taken.
The simplest approach is to only generate a system when it is first entered, and then store that data. Because it is faster to call the data than to regenerate it.
Kevak
Mindcrafter

Postby Kevak » 09 Aug 2013, 16:19

Maybe set up a ship construction system, so there are standard blueprints for newbies and lazies but people can make custom ships of various shapes and sizes for various results in combat and other activities.
Woof.
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 11 Aug 2013, 17:34

No, the whole idea is to make it impossible to build the most powerful ship, as something could always be bigger and better, and impossible to get to that level on your own.

Basically the idea is to allow for the slow and steady growth of power, technology, and wealth. And still allow for a technological dark age to form, in case some group manages to wipe out most of the blueprints and datacards with the high end skills.
If such an event happened it would be like shunting our current technology back to the dark ages, and slowly expanding out again, as people recover artifacts or research new technologies.

I should also mention that reverse engineering something should be possible if you have a good enough skill, and a working item.
Kevak
Mindcrafter

Postby Kevak » 11 Aug 2013, 18:01

I ment pretty much exactly that, a few premade blueprints for newbies, but the rest is completely customizable otherwise so people can make whatever the heck they want to of any size. (sort of like a 2d Shores of Hazeron construction system since it looks like we are doing a birds eye view viewpoint.
Woof.
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 12 Aug 2013, 06:22

No, no real graphical stuff at all.
All the game is text and numbers, more like games such as OGame or AstroEmpires.
There would be some basic images used to describe the game better, and make it easier to show quantities of base items.

And the initial probe is sent without blueprints, there might be a tutorial where you make a blueprint. But I am not sure if a tutorial would be worthwhile yet or not.
The idea is to make it so that only a minimal number of resources make it into the game world.

But the earliest blueprints would be rather easy to produce, taking maybe 15 minutes to an hour to design then only basic materials to produce.
That would change as things got more complicated though.

Return to “Gaming Spot”