Space Strategy.

Discuss game-related topics here!
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Re: Space Strategy.

Postby Happy Demon » 01 Apr 2012, 15:45

What a coincidence, I was just doing a self-turning Dual Howitzer turret image, might take a while to finish though.
I'm the Forum Demon, amongst the most active members on the Forum.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Nosebleeds are f***ing annoying!
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 01 Apr 2012, 18:23

Finally done with the image.

Dual Howitzer Turret.
Spoiler! :
The Module, or rather, Turret will consist of a Base, Vertical Aimer, Weapon, and a Loader.
- The Base can be made to turn fast, house bigger weapons, have better armor, or house more weapons. Damage or flaws to this component would cause Horizontal turning to slow, in some cases jamming, the Loader arms malfunctioning, the clamps for the Ammo crate slots not working, and in rare cases, the rotation motor exploding.
- The Vertical Aimer can be made to house specific weapons, boost the weapon's performance in certain areas, turn faster, and be better armored. Damage or flaws to this component would cause jerky movement, slow movement, limited weapon performance, the malfunction in the casing dumper, and in some rare cases, the rotation motors exploding which often destroying the weapon.
- The Weapon can be made for many different purposes, there are many types, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Damage or flaws to this component would cause Jamming, decreased accuracy, misfiring, malfunctioning shock absorbers, and in some cases, clogged barrels.
- The Loader can be made to load many different types of ammunition, be it shells or power cells, load faster, house more shells, etc. Damage or flaws to this module would cause Jamming, slow reload rate, the conveyer stopping, and in some cases, the ammunition blowing up, which often destroys the entire turret.
Good thing there was only 4 default shades of grey in Paint, if there were more, I don't think there would be any color on the module.
Oh, and the blank area is my scribble area, where I draw the modules, it's a good thing to have.
The Loader arms are primarily used for filling the loader, but can also be used to unjam equipment, and manually loading the weapon.

I'm thinking of doing those resource icons next.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 01 Apr 2012, 19:20

Looks cool. Although I am not sure if I would use something like this in game.
The image for the Dual Howitzer, however could easily be modified a little and utilized.

Also don't forget that paint can create more than just the base shades.

I don't think I will put turrets into the game, as all the combat has to be done programmatically and automatically without human interference and I want to keep it simple and fast to calculate so that massive fleet battles won't take minutes to calculate.
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 01 Apr 2012, 19:42

Well, you could implement that later, or for another game.
You could just replace tracking bonuses with bonus against slow moving targets.

I like the default colors, as it doesn't end up with a mountain of colors to choose from.

Resource icons.
Spoiler! :
Damn, I saved it in a compressed format, but I'm a little too lazy to clean it up.

My arm's getting tired.

Edit: It turns out I saved the file in a not-so-compressed format after all, huh, almost like it's default.

Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 01 Apr 2012, 20:18

I do like that first one, the others are harder to tell what they are.
Perhaps you should try a non-pixel art look. Also if the image is 64x64 or greater the compression is less troublesome.
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 01 Apr 2012, 21:14

Ah, well the one to the left is the Tralphium, with Molecules going towards each other to represent fusion.

Then you have Samarium next to that, with a magnetic field to represent it's use in magnets, and ions flying away to represent fission.

The middle is Titanium, with wings to represent Lightness, and the deflected projectile to represent solidness.

To the right of Titanium is Aurium, which is a golden orb with a lightning going through, to represent conductivity.

And lastly, on the Right you have Ferium, with the left being a grid to represent it's use in basic framework of pretty much everything, and the right representing it's use in electromagnets.

Though I can enlarge the picture.
Spoiler! :

I cannot do non-pixel art, it takes too long, I lose motivation when I try, it's like trying to make Pocalypse sprites, I just can't do it.

Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 02 Apr 2012, 00:38

Ugh, done with a Heavy Railgun Turret.
Spoiler! :
Expensive, slow fire rate due to high heat generation, and insane damage. What more could you ask for?

I actually somewhat enjoy doing this.

Also, I'm thinking of having the exterior be customizable (putting on logos, camouflage, etc.), as a solid grey turret is kinda dull.
But they'll have to wait until we get graphical battles.

Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 02 Apr 2012, 08:38

I think I may have to show you what I mean by the artwork =P
You are definitely improving your pixel art skills though.
The rail-gun looks nice. Its just the wrong sort of Image for this.

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Tritanium
The icon to the right is something like what I would like for the raw materials. Trit in EVE is akin to Ferium in this game.
http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Antim ... actor_Unit
The icon in this is a good example of how EVE displays components for manufacturing the modules.

Now obviously the art for EVE is done by professionals, but this was the idea I was going for. Single, scale-able icons that are unique for each item.
This will help people quickly locate the item they are looking for in the lists of the base's commodities, or the ships hold.

I may even spend some time drafting some basic ideas for these icons myself.
I think 256x256 32bit PNG with alpha layer will be the standard size. This allows for a larger image for descriptions of the item/material, and this image can be shrunk to aprox 64x64 for icons, or as small as 32x32 for lists.

It would be an idea to make sure the image looks right at all sizes. So 100%, 25%, and 12.5% zooms.
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 02 Apr 2012, 16:36

Ah well, might end up used for another project I hope, one where battles are graphical.

I might try a tilted design, but I'm not up for it today, the 3D perspective is hard to do in paint.

Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 17 Apr 2012, 02:49

Ah, it has been a while, looks like I'll have to pretend I actually did something.

Spoiler! :
I decided to ditch the entire 3D thingy, as it actually requires effort.

This is an icon for a High Explosive Ammo loaded Howitzer, which can be mounted into the hull with no ability to turn, or on a turret.
The Howitzer cannons can be mounted individually or in bunches (more in less space, but reload suffers if you do, unless proper equipment is attached).

I need to know if this is enough, as I kinda want to use the lazy option if I can.

Return to “Gaming Spot”