Space Strategy.

Discuss game-related topics here!
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Re: Space Strategy.

Postby Happy Demon » 18 Mar 2012, 16:52

Currency, well that's a fun part. You can make players able to name their own currency, and maybe add their own icon to it. This will however make a lot of players pump out money until it has no value.
But the players that doesn't do that, their currency may actually become very valuable, and maybe the universal currency. Make it so that players can make money factories, and make it somewhat slow.
But then there will be the fake cash, only able to be seen if they check the info, so be careful about trading, always check the info.

Ship Customization, what kind of design are you talking about?
Is the the Sword of the Stars way where you have 3 modules which do different things which you can change to do different things, and you can change what weapons should be equipped?

Or is it the Space Empires way where there's a certain amount of slots you can put components in (some hulls have more/less slots, speed limit, and weight limit), and there's 3 kinds of slot (Inner Hull (for components and weapons which you hold high priority, gets damaged last), Outer Hull (for components and weapons, gets damaged second), and Armor (where armor goes, gets damaged first))?
I'm the Forum Demon, amongst the most active members on the Forum.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Nosebleeds are f***ing annoying!
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 18 Mar 2012, 17:42

In the way of currency you have hit EXACTLY what I am aiming for. I want people to trade and sell shit with their own currencies, backed up by their own assets. Acting as banks, loan sharks, everything.

Customization is more difficult to explain I think.
The 9 different base values:
Structure
Armor
Hull
Cargo
Warpdrive
Jumpdrive
Engines
Shields
Weapons
Systems

Are simply numbers, you select the number to put into each. from 1 to something like 1 billion, the limit being based off of your skills.
Research improves these values by another value. Probably in a percentage modifier.

The weapon type and additional systems are selected by tick boxes basically. Their values are set by the Systems value and the research into that area.
Things like stealth systems, an AI Core, Shipyards, factories, mining ability.
They may also get values like the 9 base ones. Allowing people to add more mining ability into a ship, or something.
This may also be a set number or percentage of the ships current size. Idk yet.

I will make a mock-up ship creator at some point, just to test values and to let people understand how it works.
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 19 Mar 2012, 15:01

Okay, here is a basic prototype.
The grey areas are not to be edited as they are generated. These values are not final, this system is not final. This is just a basic prototype.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... mVoWEVlM1E

Feel free to add ships in.
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 30 Mar 2012, 12:15

Okay, so I have a set of five basic Raw Materials and 4 different types of asteroid ready. I think I will put together the different planetoid classifications, and then work out how bases are placed on them, seeing as I want to be able to have multiple bases on the same planetoid.

The first Raw Material is Tralphium. Element 2 (He), A light weight inert gas. An alternate name for Helium 3.
Tralphium is used for coolant, and as fusion material. There are some secondary uses, such as laser focusing, and crystal production.
Tralphium can be gathered by three methods. Direct extraction from Liquids on planetoids. Separation from the dusts of unshielded planetoids. And collection from the solar winds of stars.

The second Raw Material is Samarium. Element 62 (Sm), a fairly common, rare earth metal.
Samarium is used for magnetic devices, and as a radioactive fissile for fission reactions. It gets used for cheap, long term power. And production of permanent magnets.
Samarium can be found in Samarskite Asteroids or areas of planetoids with high Samarskite concentrations.

The third Raw Material is Titanium. Element 22 (Ti), a low density, high tensile metal. I wish to find a better alternate name for Titanium.
Titanium is used as an expensive construction material. For things like weapons, reactors, engines, and some parts of base structures.
Titanium can be found in Ilmenite Asteroids or areas of planetoids with high Ilmenite concentrations.

The fourth Raw Material is Aurium. Element 79 (Au), a highly conductive, ductile metal . I have taken the latin root of gold (Aurum) and changed the end to ium, to fit with the other raw materials.
Aurium is used for systems that need a high conductivity, of heat or electricity. Used in the production of circuitry, Plasma weaponry, sensor systems, and power systems.
Aurium can be found in Krennerite Asteroids or areas of planetoids with high Krennerite concentrations.

The final Raw Material is Ferium. Element 26 (Fe), a strong, common metal. I simply took the latin root of Iron (Ferrum) and changed the end to ium, to fit with the other raw materials.
Ferium is used in almost all constructions. It provides a strong basic metal, and can be used for electromagnets. Armor plating is typically Ferium or a Ferum alloy.
Ferium can be found in Haematite Asteroids, or areas of planetoids with high Haematite concentrations.

The idea behind having several raw materials, is that some star systems will be higher in some than others. And players will have to fight over systems with high concentrations of the rarer metals.

I think I will limit drive systems to slower than light. With basic engines used for sub-sonic, and low end super-sonic movement. While jump drives will be used for achieving speeds that near fractions of light speed. For inter-planetary travel.
To reach other stars players will have to enter wormholes, or produce Warp gates, which are basically artificial wormholes, which need to be produced in both systems, then linked.
However FTL communications systems will be fairly common.
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 30 Mar 2012, 14:13

Uh... you mentioned Gold Conductors, but why not Silver ones too? There's no Oxygen in space, so the Silver wont tarnish.
Yes, I searched Google for an answer, and apparently the Silver Tarnishing problem can be solved with vacuum, and space is a vacuum.
Before you suggest that a major air leakage could occur, the moment it's so much it ruins the entire circuit, the ship has probably been ripped in half, and it's more probably for wires to be cut.

Woah, I really like suggesting Silver and Deuterium for some reason.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

ZidaneRobbie
Zombie Hunter

Postby ZidaneRobbie » 30 Mar 2012, 17:27

Another post from Doctor Happy Demon lol.

Yeah, there is no air in space anywayz.
I'm an inspired writer and wannabe artist. I excel in those trades yet I fall to a good RP with my OCs.
I like eating...and Joe.
Been a fan since...uhhh...2006? I canni mind '-'
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 30 Mar 2012, 18:43

Zidane, honestly I have no idea why you posted there. =P

But the idea is to give only a few basic materials that produce many, many more complex ones.
I want a few simple ones, because if I start going crazy with it, the more complex items will take even longer to figure out.

Currently any ideas of modules, components and advanced materials would be appreciated.

Advanced Materials are like Steel, an Alloy of Carbon and Iron. In this world it would simply require Ferium, Power and Time.
Crystals are another Advanced Material, produced from Tralphium.

Components are things like Focusing Crystals, they are produced with Crystals, and are used in Laser based weaponry, and Laser based detection systems (LaDAR)

Modules are things like LaDAR detection systems, made of circuitry, focusing crystals, Titanium, Aurium, and Tralphium.

Then we produce ships by selecting Modules and placing them into a hull.
I still don't know exactly how i am going to do ships.
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 30 Mar 2012, 23:45

Well, components, now this is where we can have a lot.

I'm going to start with Shield Components (these are going to be parts of modules).
Spoiler! :
The Module will consist of a Resistance Generator, a Transformer, and a Field Generator.
- The Resistance Generator can be set to react to different types of projectiles in the field. Damage or flaws to this component would cause erratic fluctuations to the power consumption, and weaken resistance.
- The Transformer can be set to be better able to handle fluctuation in the power consumption, better able to handle fluctuations in power input, or deliver more power. Damage or flaws to this component would cause severe fluctuations in the amount of power it draws and delivers, weakening the shield, and in some cases, damaging the other components.
- The Field Generator can be made to better handle many small projectiles or few powerful ones. Damage or flaws to this component can cause flickering strength, uneven distribution of shield strength, chance of not blocking projectiles, and in some rare cases, an explosion knocking out electric equipment in the vicinity.
This has only 1 example of each component variation, but more can be added later

Edit: Added image.
Edit 2: Replaced compressed image with a not-so-compressed one.

Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 01 Apr 2012, 03:28

Well, I just made graphical views of components, I wonder if I should continue.
I seem to be getting better at the pixel stuff.
Maybe i should make artwork for everything. What do you think?
And if I shall, what do you think the priorities should be (which type of component do you think I should do first)?

Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 01 Apr 2012, 15:00

Well if you want to do the artwork, be my guest. I do need an artist. I was thinking blueprint like looks for items.
First we really need icons for the 5 raw materials, then after that there is no real priority. As all items can easily have a "artwork does not yet exist" thing.

There have been way to many ideas about how to deal with these things floating into my head.
First was the pure numbers system I put up earlier, it works and could be cool. But would have many bland components.

Second is a pure modules system, where you select a ship hull size, and stick modules on. Like Ascendancy, or Space Empires.

Third is the Simplistic idea that Sword of the Stars uses, where you select roles and then modify them slightly.

However I am now thinking a combination of the Second and the First.
Where you produce a hull with (x) module slots. This hull gets a Strength value, and a weight value. You can modify the strength and weight up and down. More strength or less weight = more expensive hull.
Then you can add modules. From small weapons, which might take up one module slot. To larger weapons which could take up 4 or 16. This means that you COULD mount a Capital ship's Proton Cannon to a frigate sized vessel, however it couldn't fit much else.
I am not sure if Armor should be a module, or another hull value. Or if that is the hull strength value.

Weapon Systems i am thinking about:
Railguns - Use electromagnetism to fire chunks of Ferium at the enemy at high speeds. Long range, poor accuracy at range, High Damage.
Laser - Use Beams or Pulses of directed Electromagnetic Waves to melt hull. Medium Range, highest accuracy, Medium damage with falloff.
Missiles - Use propulsion and tracking systems in a miniature, expendable, explosive, craft. Medium range, high accuracy, Medium damage with falloff.
Auto-cannons - Use explosives to fire small metal slugs at the enemy. Short range, High rate of fire, low accuracy. Very cheap to produce.
Plasma Cannons - Fire balls of super-high temperature ionized-gas at the enemy. Low range, low rate of fire, super high damage with falloff.

damage falloff means that the further away a target is the less damage they take.
Lasers have falloff because the focusing methods are not perfect and at range the area that is hit is larger than at short range.
Missiles have falloff because they burn fuel, which is also explosive.

Return to “Gaming Spot”