A PHP webgame

Discuss game-related topics here!
Kevak
Mindcrafter

Re: A PHP webgame

Postby Kevak » 10 Sep 2011, 16:05

If a third of the worlds population starves then maybe the planet wouldn't be slowly dying.
Woof.
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 10 Sep 2011, 20:53

The planet's not dying due to it's residents, it's dying because of the sun's radiation blasts against it's magnetic field (the mechanics of magnets is an actual science).
I'm the Forum Demon, amongst the most active members on the Forum.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Nosebleeds are f***ing annoying!
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 10 Sep 2011, 21:14

And yet we still dump so many thousands of tons of GM food because the rest of the world doesnt want it.
Well when I say we I mean the US does, im part of NZ and we dont want no Genetically mutated crap.
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 11 Sep 2011, 02:34

Well, except that Carrots are originally purple, and not all that tasty.
Genetic engineering has been going on for over 100 000 years, through selective breeding (instead of natural selection).
So all Orange and White Carrots are products of genetic engineering.

And now for something completely different.

A communist party won the vote in my country (Norway), yay, that means there will be more towns/cities with working schools.
It's kinda creepy that a Capitalist party almost won, seriously, those Capitalists are trying to make the class difference even bigger.
Since the class difference is bad enough as it is, with the coastal regions having schools without heating, and that's bad when the temperature becomes -30 Celsius (-22 Fahrenheit), while the cities has fully working schools.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

HD Cerberus
Vampire Slayer

Postby HD Cerberus » 11 Sep 2011, 05:51

*Les insert moderation*

Back on topic guys.
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 11 Sep 2011, 17:56

Selective breeding is VERY different from direct engineering.
With breeding you can only select the traits that arise naturally from within the species own gene-pool. Think of it as assisted natural-selection.
While with GE you go an change the genetics in a laboratory. Often adding in genes from an entirely different species.

While I personally have nothing against it, nor nuclear power my country hates both.
Which is odd because nuclear power would solve our energy woes, and GE would allow us to produce even more of our primary export.

Oh and on topic...

I kind of need some help designing a very basic first alliteration of this game. Both in what you can do, and what the thing will look like.
If I can get started somewhere then it will actually progress and I will be able to put a basic game online which will then be modified as each new feature gets finished.
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 11 Sep 2011, 20:41

If you're going for 2D, then there is a major thing that will affect game-play a lot (you never mentioned what view thing you were going for (I think)).

Phasing: There will be moments when ships goes near each other, you could make it so that only projectiles hit ships, but that has a problem with the small ships being able to exploit this, and positioning themselves on top of big ships, making them unable to hit them, but that can be fixed with the help of turrets.
Collision: The alternative to Phasing, all ships and objects can hit each other, making ramming possible, and the asteroids a major threat, but docking and firing will need a little Phasing.

I like the collision thing better, since that makes things a lot harder for the players, also, players would be able to ram their ships into the enemy if they're about to die, to get a little payback (I remember doing that a lot in SE5).

Explosions: When something explodes, it sends out a shock-wave, you could either have it do absolutely nothing (except look pretty), shove the ship away, or absolutely devastate it, along with flinging out debris everywhere.
Death: The penalty of death can vary, some games have you lose some skill and wealth (through clones), while others have you lose everything, and have no way of regaining your lost wealth and skills, except if you find your secret stash.

It may seem that I missed the point where you said death was permanent, but there exist a lot of games that have clones, making death only a minor inconvenience, and I don't like that, it ruins the mood.
As for the Explosion thingy, I prefer the sadistic one, with you being massacred by debris.

Kevak
Mindcrafter

Postby Kevak » 11 Sep 2011, 21:17

I think the explosions should be unpredictable in both range and strength, you might get away with minor damage at ground zero, or you might loose the entire rear end of your ship over a mile away.
Woof.
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 12 Sep 2011, 07:18

Okay. It seems you need a lesson on PHP. PHP produces HTML and possibly Javascript depending on if you like it or not.
So what you can do is limited to a few pictures and links. Combat CAN be done in a more JRPG style, but for a game that is supposed to be about PvP this is not an ideal option, instead combat must be done in the background and have the results sent to the players.

If I were to do a proper game engine it would require me to either learn a language that has good support on multiple platforms, which while not impossible is difficult for me, because I am not good at learning new languages.
Or make it windows only.
And I hate having a game single platform, it removes the ability of others to play.

Ultimately I want to be able to have the entire game run with just text, although pictures and other images WILL be in there.
I want to do this so that even a bored unix geek can fire up W3M or something and play it in their terminal.

However since the combat is designed to be delt with by drones and AI's to keep your character out of the battle, this will be of no real problem, as these entities would be automated anyway. And all you would see are the end results.

Basically imagine that the game could be played in this forum, with options limited to predefined routes. However communications between players, scams run by players, alliances between corporations or other groups, a functioning stock market, mining operations, manufacturing stations.
All these would be entirely possible. Really its going to end up as a space economy simulator, with truly hostile takeovers possible.

Ill get to work on a simple and fast system to login, register, and save passwords in the next few days.
This is probably the most important step, because I don't ever want to deal with players losing their accounts because they were stolen or sold.
Kevak
Mindcrafter

Postby Kevak » 12 Sep 2011, 15:59

Make sure the passwords encrypt so if the database is hacked, they can't be used unless decrypted.
Woof.

Return to “Gaming Spot”