Gaming Quality

Discuss game-related topics here!
Squizzel
Colony Council

Gaming Quality

Postby Squizzel » 20 Jul 2011, 06:39

Ok, so I need to do some resurch for some course work, and I'd love it if some of you could just take a few minuets to fill out a simple questionair for me ^^

What country are you from?
Do you by top end games on relise?
If yes, how often and how much would you be willing to pay?
Why would you buy a top end game?
Do you think buying a top end game on relise is worth it? Why?
Do you think there are any top end games that are an exseptions to this?
Would you be intrested in indie games? Why?
If you heard good reveiws about indie games, would you buy them?
Is there anythinng else relevent you'd like to add? (add it here if there is)

By "top end" I mean stuff that gets advertisment. So, Halo, Portal, Half-Life, Call of Duty, you get the idea.
Last edited by Squizzel on 20 Jul 2011, 07:05, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Sair is now locked :3 I like her how she is ^^
Merostomata
Vampire Slayer

Re: Gaming Quality

Postby Merostomata » 20 Jul 2011, 06:57

1. I am from the United States of America.
2. Generally speaking, I prefer to wait for quite a while after a game's release to purchase it.
3. N/A
4. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'top-end game' here, I'm assuming you mean something big and well-advertised? Something like, say, Super Smash Brothers Brawl or Halo 3 or something. I guess I'd buy one if it seemed fun enough to justify the price of getting it.
5. No, not generally. Waiting in a long line and paying the maximum price so that I could start a game quickly doesn't really seem worth it. Besides, you don't even have the benefit in most instances of reviews other people have given it to know if the game is really awful or not, and in these days a lot of developers get rather sloppy and have the game filled with bugs that only get fixed later. No thank you.
6. Again, I'm not quite clear on what is meant by 'top-end', but I'll just say, no, none that I can think of.
7. If it seemed interesting enough to justify me buying it, sure.
8. Good reviews help, but it's more important to me is being sure that the game fits in with my interests. If it does fit my interests, good reviews would certainly help.
Hello!
Joe
Site Admin

Postby Joe » 20 Jul 2011, 07:25

1. Canada
2. No, I don't. I usually wait until a game's on sale or the price goes down (ex. Game of the Year editions, Steam sale, etc).
3. When I do buy a game (not often), I'm usually willing to pay around $20.
4. I would buy a top-end game if it got excellent reviews and it interested me or if the game had some sentimental value (Final Fantasy or Sim City series, for example).
5. I don't think it's worth it because I know the price will come down in relatively short time. In the meantime, I have more than enough games to catch up on :D
6. Games that hold some sentimental value are exceptions that I would be willing to pay around $50 for on release. For example, I've been playing and enjoying the Final Fantasy series since I was a kid, so as an adult, a new Final Fantasy game would have a special place in my heart (and wallet).
7. Yes, definitely, because I feel that indie companies that are not tied down by corporations and investors (that have never played video games) have the freedom to flex their creative muscles and imaginations without being shackled by risk management and bottom lines. I feel that the best value games are those developed by indie companies.
8. Definitely! A good review by a trustworthy site is a good thing, but the best reviews come from fans. If a game has overwhelming positive feedback from its players, like Minecraft, then it is definitely worth the small price tag.
9. Nothing! :D
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 20 Jul 2011, 12:12

1) New Zealand

2) depends on the game, some I do, most I don't "buy"

3) Depends upon the game again, usually $100 NZD is about the limit for a new game for me

4) Because it was either great, or from a very good developer, such as Skyrim from Bethesda Games Studios.

5) Again depends on the game, a game that provides at least 20 hours of entertainment is usually worth buying on release, about $10 - $15 per 2 hours of entertainment is an acceptable cost margin. About the same as going to the movies.

6) There are always the exceptions. Skyrim I will buy regardless, and Civilisation games I wont.

7) Some, depends upon the game they are producing, they have to be fun. And sometimes indie game developers put more fun into a game. While usually AAA developers put lots of graphical stufff, but little fun.

8) Again depends on the game, although usually I will.
Squizzel
Colony Council

Postby Squizzel » 22 Jul 2011, 08:37

Thanks people ^^ I'm hopeing to get some more posts, but even this will help me with my qualifations!
ImageImageImageImage
Sair is now locked :3 I like her how she is ^^

Return to “Gaming Spot”