Very Draft, Much RPG

Discuss game-related topics here!
Silverware
Site Admin

Very Draft, Much RPG

Postby Silverware » 27 Feb 2014, 08:50

So having played some Mongoose Traveller recently I am liking the 2d6 system for skill checks and the like.
But it has many downfalls. I would go grab Traveller5 but there is no PDF that I can find for sale anywhere. And I dont want to buy the rulebook as it is VERY full of errors.

So I have decided to write my own ruleset. xD
This here are VERY early draft so far.

Characters:
Characters gain stats from traits, traits are gained from home planet, race, and life events.
The character stats are using a unique ABCDEF system, which mimics that of other game systems.

Agility, Brawn, Charisma, Dignity, Education, Facility.
Two stats to Physical, Social, and Mental prowess.

The basic character gets a dice penalty to every stat before traits are applied.

Characters then get to roll a few early game events, including parents or lack thereof, schooling, and some other basic things.
Characters then are ready to either start directly into the game as adults, or to continue character creation and pursue careers.

These careers will provide chances for events, which in turn provide more traits or skills.

Skills go from untrained to grand-master.
-, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. (So far the grand-master level is 6, but that might change depending upon numbers)

To use skills a character rolls 2d6, adding bonuses based upon the stat most relevant to the situation, and the skill they are using.
They can also gain bonuses from tools, or situational benefits.
Penalties are then applied based on situation issues, lack of tools, lack of training, and the difficulty of the job.

A negative number will result in a failure, the lower the number (-10 is lower than -1) the worse the character did.
A -2 means a REALLY bad success (ie Crash landed the ship into a mountain, and all crew take significant damage)
A -1 means a bad success, (ie Succeeded to land a ship, but the ship will never fly again without major repairs)
A 0 means a poor success (ie Landed the ship, but the landing was rough, the ship takes some damage.)
A 1 or above is a success, higher numbers denote better successes.

Skills can also take penalties if the character does a job hastily, using the square of the distance from the default time as a penalty
They can gain a bonus for taking longer, but it is only a +1 per step above in time.

Timings
<1 second (Step 0) (Basically instant)
1-6 seconds (Step 1) (d6 seconds to complete)
10-60 seconds (Step 2) (d6*10 seconds to complete)
1-6 minutes (Step 3) (d6 minutes to complete)
10-60 minutes (Step 4) (d6*10 minutes to complete)
1-6 hours (Step 5) (d6 hours to complete)
6-36 hours (step 6) (d6*6 hours to complete)
1-6 days (step 7) (d6 days to complete)
6-36 days (step 8) (d6*6 days to complete)
1-6 months (step 9) (d6 months to complete)
6-36 months (step 10) (d6*6 months to complete)

So a job that would take 1-6 hours to complete
Could be done in 10-60 minutes for a -1( 1^2 = 1 ) penalty.
Or done in 1-6 minutes for a -4( 2^2 = 4 ) penalty.
Or done in 10-60 seconds for a -16 ( 3^2 = 16 ) penalty
(This penalty could be swapped out for a 2xSteps penalty instead, depends on playtests)

While a job that was normally 1-6 minutes.
Could be done in 10-60 minutes for a +1 bonus.
Or in 1-6 hours for a +2 bonus.

This allows characters to take meticulous care in doing something, or to haphazardly rush through a job.

Combat is done by simply rolling your combat skill to hit, with the opponents Agility and Armor providing penalties to hit.
If you hit you then roll the weapon's damage, armor can absorb some of that damage, and then the opponent takes the damage.

I am thinking of including specific area hits too.

Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Re: Very Draft, Much RPG

Postby Happy Demon » 28 Feb 2014, 17:28

Why not go for 6d6 and 10d6 instead of d6*6 and d6*10?
I mean, Warhammer player often roll more than 10 dice (especially ork players) so it is possible to roll that many dice.

With those creation events, can the characters die?
Since I think I've heard of some Tabletop RPG that did so, where characters could die during character creation.
I'm the Forum Demon, amongst the most active members on the Forum.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Nosebleeds are f***ing annoying!

Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 01 Mar 2014, 08:27

Because rolling 10d6 then adding it up takes longer than d6*10, or d6*6, I have played a lot of pathfinder and it can take awhile for people to do their calculations if they are not prepared for it, and high levels rogues often romm 8d6 or higher for damage, and thats a pain.

Yes some other games have had characters die in character creation, but that means immediately re rolling a character. That takes much longer to do.
I want character creation to take little more than half an hour with a group of six players, that way you can get a new game started quickly.
But I also want character creation to be simple and easy to do, so I am including these life events.
There will be ones where characters get close to death, but the somehow survived, maybe lost a limb, or a friend.

I am also thinking about how to include sanity and mental stability, I want characters who can lose the plot and kill their friends in a psychotic rage, or characters who get depressed and commit suicide after watching party members die.
Basically the game needs to be able to cover horror aspects as well as more classic superhero style characters, or flawed anti-heroes, or villains.

Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 01 Mar 2014, 20:01

Ah, sanity system, loved by GMs, hated by players (Call of C'thulu is quite notious for that).
Just remember a triumph mechanic (since defeating a lovecraftian horror shouldn't make it's effect on your sanity as powerful) to regain sanity (doesn't need to regain all sanity, just some), would hate it if all sanity loss was permanent.
I'm the Forum Demon, amongst the most active members on the Forum.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Nosebleeds are f***ing annoying!

Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 03 Mar 2014, 11:01

Ah yes, good idea.
A slow regen if not facing horrors every other day. Making sanity more like a pool of hitpoints.
Then you can have permanent damage, and temporary damage.

Thinking:

Health
- Physical well being. Based on Brawn.
Health is lost as characters get hurt, or poisoned, or sick. Its basically hitpoints. When a character is out of health they are unconscious. Further damage can kill the character. Losing significant levels of health in a single attack requires a lucidity roll, where a fail will either send the character into a berserk rage or force them to flee frightened. Taking small health damage continuously can result in loss of sanity, such as damage from torture.

Stability
- Social well being, based on Dignity.
Stability is lost as characters lose allies, or gain enemies. It is also lost after killing. However loss of stability makes the character more resilient to further loss. Stability loss requires Lucidity rolls, and can provide quirks from a table. Many anti-social disorders can be gained from losing stability. Low stability should make characters prone to explosive outbursts of violence, or make them lose regard for social rules.

Sanity
- Mental well being. Based on Facility.
As a character faces horrors, incomprehensible acts of evil, or torture, they slowly take sanity damage. Each time their sanity gets lowered the character has to roll against lucidity. As sanity falls, players have to make rolls on a table for acts of insanity. These will include things like paranoia that a particular character or group is out to get them. It should provide roleplaying opportunities for the player, not make the character impossible to play.

Lucidity
- Measure of how well the player can control the character.
If stability or sanity take hits, you roll against lucidity.
A fail means that the character takes a long term hit against lucidity, and will start hallucinating to some degree. This could manifest as paranoia, or as actual hallucinations. Once lucidity hits zero the player loses control of the character, essentially their character is now little more than an animal.

May add more later, but four pools that can be damaged, along with the six stats which can be damaged as well should be workable without being excessive.

Return to “Gaming Spot”