The forum is dying/dead.

Having a technical problem with the forums? Post it here! Suggestions are also welcome. Post your forum-related questions here, too!
Bonzi77
Zombie Hunter

The forum is dying/dead.

Postby Bonzi77 » 24 Nov 2010, 19:04

We need to make this stop happening/reverse it. Any suggestions?
Joe
Site Admin

Re: The forum is dying/dead.

Postby Joe » 24 Nov 2010, 21:27

Activity has indeed gone down from the beginning :(

But! Remember we've only been around for less than two months and I'm not advertising as much as I was during the first few weeks. So, let's give the forums some more time to grow! :D

If there's anything you guys can think of that will resuscitate the forums, please do what you can :) Let me know what I can do, too!
Aldurin
Survivor

Postby Aldurin » 26 Nov 2010, 13:24

Isn't it a bit early to declare this forum KIA? Especially since we're not even at the super-cool stuff yet.
Bonzi77
Zombie Hunter

Postby Bonzi77 » 26 Nov 2010, 14:19

Hey, I posted this before you guys showed up. :P
Toasty
Zombie Hunter

Postby Toasty » 26 Nov 2010, 18:13

Well lets take a moment to dissect the reasons why popular forums do really well, Generally a comic's forum will have a niche that the comic covers. The Penny Arcade forum has videogames, and the MSPA forums has MSPAFAs (microsoft paint adventures forum adventures) which keep them super entertaining to read and have ongoing activities. What we need here, is a niche like that. I think we need to tap into some more apocalypse discussions, maybe start a few threads discussing how we would survive different apocalypses and maybe even role play. I'm always up for a How would you survive the zombie apocalypse discussion.
Joe
Site Admin

Postby Joe » 26 Nov 2010, 19:17

Great idea! Thanks for starting the thread and I will think of more stuff to fit in and expand the niche :D
Kevak
Mindcrafter

Postby Kevak » 02 Dec 2010, 00:48

Toasty wrote:Well lets take a moment to dissect the reasons why popular forums do really well, Generally a comic's forum will have a niche that the comic covers. The Penny Arcade forum has videogames, and the MSPA forums has MSPAFAs (microsoft paint adventures forum adventures) which keep them super entertaining to read and have ongoing activities. What we need here, is a niche like that. I think we need to tap into some more apocalypse discussions, maybe start a few threads discussing how we would survive different apocalypses and maybe even role play. I'm always up for a How would you survive the zombie apocalypse discussion.

im up for roleplaying lol
Woof.
Tolster
Gate Guard

Postby Tolster » 03 Dec 2010, 02:22

I won't roleplay any much, if at all.
It's just that I don't like it. :P
But other just overall (in my opinion) interesting discussions, I'm in. :)
Joe
Site Admin

Postby Joe » 06 Dec 2010, 07:33

How does forum role-playing work? I've seen a few, but I've never tried it before :D

I quickly scanned a wikipedia page on forum RP, but I figure no one can explain it better than someone who's tried it!

Does one person (a gamemaster?) start a story and moderate it? Do they moderate by making sure the story stays on track? Is anyone able to participate in a story?

Do participants place themselves in the story and refer to themselves in the 3rd person? For example, would I write something like:

"Joe (or whatever my character's name is) walks to the treasure chest and bashes it open. He finds a gas lighter and stashes it in his pocket."

Can other participants write for Joe or is a participant limited to his/her own character(s)?

Anther type of RP I've seen is one in which participants write the next part/paragraph/page of an ongoing story.

I assume that the type of game is up to the person who starts it?

Thanks for the idea :D I'm also open to it!

(PS. I'm super happy that the forums have livened up! :D)
Kevak
Mindcrafter

Postby Kevak » 06 Dec 2010, 15:11

basically:

a thread is started and a starting setting is decided on

then someone starts and the rest start with improvising and whatnot

its more fun if nobody godmods (godmodding is when they make their character impossible to injure or whatnot and is very annoying and ruins the RP, it adds to the RP if you get injured sometimes, but not too much)

a example roleplay snippet that i did with a few other people (note ---- means the start of a new post:

----Lukesf: so anyone have a idea for the setting?

----Tevok: forest area?

----Kevol: that works

----Zach: who wants to start?

----JiJi: i nominate luke

----Lukesf: k

Luke jumps from tree to tree and stops high up on a branch of a great oak.

----JiJi: JiJi hears something above the tree he is resting on and looks up, he sees what looks like a wolf tail dangling off a branch high up in the tree

----Lukesf: Luke looks below and see's someone sitting against the stump, he yells "hey down there, whatcha doing?"

----JiJi: JiJi hears someone yell from above him and replies "resting"

----Tevok: Tevok hears yelling near the cave he was sleeping in and goes to wake Kevol

----Lukesf: Luke jumps down from the tree and lands beside the person at the bottom, he says "hey, I'm Luke."

----JiJi: JiJi says "hi luke, im JiJi"

----Kevol: Kevol is shaken awake by Tevok who tells him to get up

(note that luke is typing on pocalypse forums: playing other characters is only okay if its like this, aka the other player has to set it up so its okay)

----Tevok: Tevok tells Kevol that he heard yelling outside

----Kevol: Kevol is somewhat annoyed that Tevok woke her up but agrees to go investigate

----Zach: meanwhile Zach is getting ready to hunt some deer in the forest

----Tevok and Kevol hide in the bushes near the great oak and overhear Luke and JiJi introducing themselves

okay thats the snippet, i didn't feel like typing any more since that shows most of the fundamentals of RP, that RP got to be a 98 forum page in length with 37 people playing and ended when the forums that it was on closed down :C
Woof.

Return to “Forums Problems/Suggestions/Questions”