Wiki/Forum Suggestion.

Having a technical problem with the site? Post it here! Suggestions are also welcome.

Should we make the switch to mediawiki (It looks like Wikipedia!)?

Yeah! Go for it! (All existing pages will be transferred.)
100%
Nah, I like the wiki as it is.
No votes

Total votes: 7
HD Cerberus
Vampire Slayer

Wiki/Forum Suggestion.

Postby HD Cerberus » 30 Apr 2011, 03:19

So I have two suggestions, the first is simple, and for the forum. The banner at the top of the site itself is great, and includes links to the shop, wiki, forum etc. The banner at the top of the forum only provides links to the site though. Maybe we should be able to navigate to the shop and wiki etc from the forum?

The second is bigger, but I'm less sure about. It's for the wiki. The current one is great, and has been growing slowly, It's gone from nothing to almost 50 pages, so I think it's definitely there to stay. However, the type of free wiki that it is, to put it bluntly, sucks.
It's a wikia and provides limited functionality etc.

I propose that Joe create another subdomain, wiki.thepocalypse.com and install mediawiki. It's really easy to do and whilst it would be some work transferring the pages to begin with, I think it would be beneficial in the long run. I'm bringing it up now because I think this should be done as soon as. It's a lot easier transferring 50 pages then it would be a hundred, or even two hundred.

Personally, I have a lot of experience with Mediawiki, so I would be happy to help out if it came to it. Merely a suggestion, but I think the work would have merit.
The Ghost
Night Stalker

Re: Wiki/Forum Suggestion.

Postby The Ghost » 30 Apr 2011, 03:35

Seconded! The current iteration... Leaves a lot to be desired.
For the Emperor!
Joe
Site Admin

Postby Joe » 30 Apr 2011, 08:44

First thing is done! :D Very easy and very useful!

As for the second thing, you've given the forums a lot of great suggestions, so I trust your judgement :D I have no experience with wikis, but if mediawiki provides more ease of use and functionality, I would be glad to make the switch. It would also be nice to have the wiki under the thepocalypse.com domain! :D

I'll make the switch when I have the time (please bear with me!), but since it's everyone's wiki, I'd like to know what everyone else thinks before I do! Thanks!
Unbeknownst
Night Stalker

Postby Unbeknownst » 30 Apr 2011, 18:36

Poll time? I can fix one up Sundayish if you'd like. Right now I need to pass out. Have quite a bit to do tomorrow.
The following statement is true. The previous statement is false.

'Poison' is such a harsh word. I prefer 'Potion of Shut the Hell Up.

You know what the best part about this weather is? The Zombies will freeze to death. Er... Undeath.
Joe
Site Admin

Postby Joe » 30 Apr 2011, 18:51

I made the poll! :D Please vote and post your thoughts/concerns/questions!
Unbeknownst
Night Stalker

Postby Unbeknownst » 30 Apr 2011, 19:18

Random question before I head to work: Er, What happened to the poll?

Edit: Ah, there it is. Didn't show up as a poll for me for some odd reason... Or I just didn't notice it.
The following statement is true. The previous statement is false.

'Poison' is such a harsh word. I prefer 'Potion of Shut the Hell Up.

You know what the best part about this weather is? The Zombies will freeze to death. Er... Undeath.
Joe
Site Admin

Postby Joe » 30 Apr 2011, 19:21

I don't know! Is it okay, now?

EDIT: Ah, ok :D
Joe
Site Admin

Postby Joe » 02 May 2011, 21:13

Well, it's unanimous! The Wiki is now at http://wiki.thepocalypse.com :D

Thank you to everyone who has made the Wiki what it is and I hope you all continue contributing to the new format!

http://thepocalypse.wikia.com is still alive if you want to transfer any info from there :D

Return to “thepocalypse.com Problems/Suggestions”