Steampunk

Discuss whatever non-comic related stuff in here! Keep it civil!
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Re: Steampunk

Postby Happy Demon » 23 Jul 2011, 02:45

The fact that having things running on diesel would require a heat source that is very hot in order to ignite, thus it's harder to start up than one running on coal.
Diesel doesn't work the same way as steam, so there is a significant difference between steam and diesel.
I'm the Forum Demon, amongst the most active members on the Forum.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Nosebleeds are f***ing annoying!
HD Cerberus
Vampire Slayer

Postby HD Cerberus » 23 Jul 2011, 03:12

What has that got to do with what we were talking about? :geek:
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 23 Jul 2011, 03:16

Well, you did asked what it mattered for us about that whole Steampunk Dieselpunk thingy.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

HD Cerberus
Vampire Slayer

Postby HD Cerberus » 23 Jul 2011, 03:30

Considering Steampunk leads directly into Dieselpunk, I have no idea why you are talking about how much heat it takes to light diesel.
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 23 Jul 2011, 03:37

It's because Dieselpunk needs more heat, and thus a larger heat unit, and that makes it somewhat different with the heater being explosive, and flammable when active.
A boiler is just pressure, that might end up with a sort of explosion, but it wont burn down a forest as easily, since it has the steam.

Or in short, steam go boom, diesel goes inferno, if heater gets too damaged.
But I'm thinking large heat sources and giant walking steam robots, so you can ignore me if you want.

The Ghost
Night Stalker

Postby The Ghost » 23 Jul 2011, 03:50

Pulling this back on topic by the horns....

HD Cerberus wrote:Ooh Good question. I WAS going to put it in a fantasy setting, so it really doesn't matter much, and have it steam punk with some Diesel incorporated, but does it make a huge difference to you?

Not really. I would like to have zeppelins flying about which is right at the end of the era, but if this is not going to be a historical docudrama then we can just handwave and say 'different research focus' and run with it, but if we do that we have to decide what is 'in' and 'out' or I will start pulling things more and more into diesel with inventions.

Some things that I want "IN" if we go that way:

Difference Engines
Zeppelins
Motorcycles and Autos (Which necessitate the internal combustion engine.)
Railways
Gatling Guns and jacketed ammunition.
Gas Lights
Phonographs and records.
Penicillin and vaccination.
Typewriters.

Some things that should be "OUT":

Radio and Telephones
Airplanes
Electric Lighting
Steampunk or Dieslepunk mecha/android robots.
(Why do people feel the need to make robots in every setting, but more importantly why do
they insist on making them look like humans? Making an intelligent tank, that makes sense
from a certain perspective, but something the size of a human could not contain the needed
amount of data with the technology that existed at the time, even if difference engines had
been sized upon right away and run with just as far and as fast as our own world did with
computers.)

The Telegraph is questionable.
For the Emperor!
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 23 Jul 2011, 04:08

What about spider walkers, 4-8 legged walking tanks?
Though then people would have steam/diesel powered exo-suits.

The Ghost
Night Stalker

Postby The Ghost » 23 Jul 2011, 04:20

Those fall under mecha. The entire idea of mechanical walkers makes little sense, the structural precepts are inefficient except on the most rugged terrain. It is much simpler to use roadways and wheeled vehicles.
For the Emperor!
HD Cerberus
Vampire Slayer

Postby HD Cerberus » 23 Jul 2011, 04:24

The Ghost wrote:
Difference Engines
Zeppelins
Motorcycles and Autos (Which necessitate the internal combustion engine.)
Railways
Gatling Guns and jacketed ammunition.
Gas Lights
Phonographs and records.
Penicillin and vaccination.
Typewriters.

Some things that should be "OUT":

Radio and Telephones
Airplanes
Electric Lighting
Steampunk or Dieslepunk mecha/android robots.
(Why do people feel the need to make robots in every setting, but more importantly why do
they insist on making them look like humans? Making an intelligent tank, that makes sense
from a certain perspective, but something the size of a human could not contain the needed
amount of data with the technology that existed at the time, even if difference engines had
been sized upon right away and run with just as far and as fast as our own world did with
computers.)

The Telegraph is questionable.

Duly noted, although, I probably will inclined some biplanes. Righty, I'm gonna head on over to the RP section now and start writing up the intro and general layout.

Anyone know any good Steampunk novels?
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 23 Jul 2011, 04:29

Depends, since it could if made properly be an amphibious vehicle.
Though then you would end up with the same problem as the Nazis, with the enemy making less advanced vehicles MUCH faster than you, and then you're doomed.
But it could be a good blitzkrieg tactic.

But it would be awesome for a while.

It's just like the ATAT (or whatever those at Hoth were called) walkers in Star Wars, since it's better to just put the cannons on a tank, and then you wouldn't waste so much resources on something that can be taken down with TRIPWIRE.

Return to “Non-Pocalypse”