Steampunk

Discuss whatever non-comic related stuff in here! Keep it civil!
Merostomata
Vampire Slayer

Re: Steampunk

Postby Merostomata » 13 Dec 2011, 06:25

Well then, in the Victorian era, was America a superpower?

The term superpower was coined around the end of World War II, which makes it a little hard to force on previous times, considering how different the world was. Still, I'd say... probably the British Empire would be a superpower, but other nations such as the German Empire and the USA would be major powers. The USA was still more significant than you gave it credit for in your post, when you derided its people as either peasants (try yeomen, instead) or not existing; in the last decade or so of the Victorian era, the USA was actually surpassing the economy of the British Empire.

There's certainly room to do steampunk set in America, it's just... ugh. Why does everyone like that, again?
Hello!
Unbeknownst
Night Stalker

Postby Unbeknownst » 13 Dec 2011, 10:42

Happy Demon wrote:Well then, in the Victorian era, was America a superpower? But then again, I had 2 words that kinda makes a loophole, the words being "I think".
If I say something wrong with those 2 words behind, you can feel free to correct me.
Well, thinking about it, you shouldn't have quoted me, I'm not good on this topic at all, I keep derailing it, and you just pulled me back to the thread.

Also, I have a certain disgust for the USA, or more precisely for the part of it's population that are retards (aka. too stupid to see the error of their ways and correct them).
I still hate the Trolls, they never f***ing stop, the amount of them are actually increasing. F***ing increasing! Since that Globalization makes more of them, ARGH!
I'm really trying to prevent myself from making an angry rant, since I got so much to complain about when on the subject of the USA (I erased 2 thirds of my message several times).
It's kinda impossible to derail a steampunk thread by talking about steampunk >.>

And anything you say about the US I can pull up from any other country. I've seen it in other countrys. People are people, there is no stopping them from being people, America is merely, and anoyingly, in the spotlight. (<--- THAT's derailment. Go me -.-)

Merostomata wrote:There's certainly room to do steampunk set in America, it's just... ugh. Why does everyone like that, again?
Because cowboys. Cowboys are awesome.
The following statement is true. The previous statement is false.

'Poison' is such a harsh word. I prefer 'Potion of Shut the Hell Up.

You know what the best part about this weather is? The Zombies will freeze to death. Er... Undeath.
Merostomata
Vampire Slayer

Postby Merostomata » 13 Dec 2011, 12:13

No, steampunk. I don't understand why it's a thing.
Hello!
Irish Psycho
Zombie Hunter
Location: in that place where stuff happensand and that thing is

Postby Irish Psycho » 14 Dec 2011, 09:32

it's a mix of sci-fi and fantasy, two things that many people like
I'm not insane, i'm only semi-sane.
Merostomata
Vampire Slayer

Postby Merostomata » 15 Dec 2011, 02:16

No, I mean the bit involving everything being made out of steam technology. Why?
Hello!
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 15 Dec 2011, 03:31

People like to think of the good things about the old days, the style that we find strange we have to explore.
Steampunk is very unknown, yet somewhat known, remove the plagues and Christian fanatics from the Victorian era, and it looks down-right awesome, to some point.
Also, it's steam technology, it's way before all the airplanes and tanks, so blimps are much more effective, and dirigibles are ships of the skies.
I'm the Forum Demon, amongst the most active members on the Forum.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Nosebleeds are f***ing annoying!
Unbeknownst
Night Stalker

Postby Unbeknownst » 15 Dec 2011, 22:17

Merostomata wrote:No, I mean the bit involving everything being made out of steam technology. Why?

Because it's cool.

And American Steampunk has Cowboys. >.>

You know what the best part about this weather is? The Zombies will freeze to death. Er... Undeath.
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 16 Dec 2011, 05:00

So? People focus on British people when in steam-punk. Playing cowboys in steam-punk is often considered like playing a soldier of Belgium in a WW2 game.
If you want cowboys, then Wild West is the genre, if you want cowboys and steam-punk, then we should make a genre called Wild Wild West (it has a giant steam powered spider, but it's steam-punk and cowboys).
I'm the Forum Demon, amongst the most active members on the Forum.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Nosebleeds are f***ing annoying!
ZidaneRobbie
Zombie Hunter

Postby ZidaneRobbie » 16 Dec 2011, 06:50

:!: I've already mentioned that. :!:

Spoiler! :
Happy Demon wrote:What about spider walkers, 4-8 legged walking tanks then people would have steam/diesel powered exo-suits.

Such an example is from the Wild Wild West movie.
I'm an inspired writer and wannabe artist. I excel in those trades yet I fall to a good RP with my OCs.
I like eating...and Joe.
Been a fan since...uhhh...2006? I canni mind '-'
Unbeknownst
Night Stalker

Postby Unbeknownst » 17 Dec 2011, 15:09

Happy Demon wrote:So? People focus on British people when in steam-punk.
No they do not. And it's still a steampunk setting. With cowboys, you have western and... Steampunk.

Return to “Non-Pocalypse”