Dead Board Random

Discuss whatever non-comic related stuff in here! Keep it civil!
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Re: Dead Board Random

Postby Happy Demon » 16 May 2013, 21:47

CD keys is the best DRM.
Those who say the best DRM is no DRM is wrong, since without DRM then you don't even have to think it through to pirate the game.
If you don't consider it, then you might not realize that what you're doing might be wrong.

That's my opinion.
I'm the Forum Demon, amongst the most active members on the Forum.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Nosebleeds are f***ing annoying!
Eldaran
Vampire Slayer

Postby Eldaran » 17 May 2013, 13:13

I agree, without the DRM there would probably less games, songs, movies etc. (I guess mostly less games) because people wouldn't buy it anymore, just copy it from friend and stranger.
The only thing Nobody can give back to you is time. Dont waste it on everyone.
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 18 May 2013, 11:09

DRM doesnt stop people from cracking games, this has been proven time and time again.
Even steam doesnt stop you from cracking the games.

What DRM does is allow developers to cut out features to people, to make them have to buy specific players to watch their blu-ray movies on, or have a specific DLC to get some content in game, or to cut out features of your operating system that are there but will cost you $100 to unlock.

DRM is a method of creating artificial scarcity, in a digital environment, any software is unlimited in nature, you dont need to print more, just send a copy to someone. So how do you price it? Pricing on food is determined by supply and demand. Higher supply or lower demand decreases the price.
When you have a product that has an infinite number of copies, you are limited purely by demand, so developers create DRM to create artificial demand for their products, allowing them to charge more, when they could do without it and still make a good profit.

Basically DRM is a method of generating money from nothing.
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 27 May 2013, 23:38

Silverware, you missed my point entirely.

A CD key isn't a big hassle, it's a line of code, and here's the best part: You can buy used games with CD keys, it's not limited intallations, game passes, or always-online DRM, it's a code you enter upon installing the game (or after), and it's only used ONCE (most of the time).

If there's no DRM, then people can just burn it, no need to crack it, or even think twice, just pop it in, and burn it, no programming skills, just put it in the computer, put an empty disc in another slot, and burn it.
Heck, when you have to download a cracked version you pretty much know it's cracked, since you searched it, when it's burnt, you might never know.

--

Oh, and I'd like to shoot down your arguement completely (or at least try).
DRM isn't made for generating money, but enforce copyright, the developers own the COPYRIGHT, those who copy the game are enacting copyright infringement.
So, let me tell you something: This "infinite number" is limited to the copyright owners, they can make an infinite number of copies, but that doesn't mean pirates are allowed.
So they make them work via a code unique for that copy, and when they do this, it's NOT infinite, since 2 games with the same unique code doesn't work.

Of course, always online and limited copies DRM aren't really DRM as much as they're content restrictors.
They don't enforce the copyright as much as they make the content unaccesible to the consumer, which quite frankly, shouldn't be allowed unless they state it plainly that the game contains this kind of DRM.
I don't mean they should just hide it in the specs, I mean the should put text on the front and back (and maybe even the side) of the case, easily readable, saying what kind of DRM it contains.

I participated in the Pocalypse RP in the active time, when all Moderators and Admins were active.

Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 05 Jun 2013, 21:29

I've been using Windows Vista for years now, I've used Windows 7 and Windows 8, and I gotta say, with the bugs and glitches removed, VIsta is superior in my opinion.
I still think Windows XP the best, but it isn't compatible with the newest version of DirectX, but Vista is.

There are 2 main reasons why I like Vista over 7 and 8.

The Media player works, you can attach it to the task bar and access it from there, you cannot do this in Windows 7, and in Windows 7 it looks different as well.
The task menu is samll and easy to use, unlike in Windows 8 where it covers your entire screen.

At first I thought Windows Vista a curse upon my PC (ok it kinda is), but now I see it as the best Windows version because it doesn't have the broken WMP or 7 or the stupid task menu of 8.

Also, I don't get the apeal of Windows 8 for PC, I prefer to use a mouse instead of buying an expensive screen just so it can be stained by dirty fingers (since people will want touch it whenever they get the chance, some wont even ask for permission to do so).

Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 06 Feb 2014, 04:24

By the way, who still visits this forum? It's quite dead.

Eldaran
Vampire Slayer

Postby Eldaran » 08 Feb 2014, 13:32

I'm here, once every two weeks. But I don't have much to write...
The only thing Nobody can give back to you is time. Dont waste it on everyone.
Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 12 Feb 2014, 05:31

Very much so. xD
I only check it when I am bored at work.
Happy Demon
Mindcrafter

Postby Happy Demon » 13 Feb 2014, 20:16

Eh, I just can't get new ideas for RPs, it's annoying, and reviving my old ones is bothersome if I don't know for certain that people are interested.

Heck, I could revive them, I don't have my notes but I remember almost all the details (statistics, plans, etc.), and the draw pad could be quite helpful for the pixel ones (doing it with a mouse was a pain).

Also, I pretty much check here daily.

Silverware
Site Admin

Postby Silverware » 15 Feb 2014, 12:46

You could do that, I would be half-interested.
Currently programming a MUD server in Node.JS
I like node, works well for what it is. It just needs to deal with errors more gracefully.
Will throw a link up here if I ever get it going.

Return to “Non-Pocalypse”